Tuesday, December 19, 2023

MEET THE FRANTIKS! Chapter Three

The tentative third chapter of a tentative novel called Meet The Frantiks! Chapter 1 is here, Chapter 2 is here, and a li'l tangent is here. But we resume our story immediately after the close of Chapter 2:

MEET THE FRANTIKS!

CHAPTER 3

Suddenly, there was a knock at my door.

No there wasn't.

A voice, whispering in my ear. "No, no" I replied to whoever wasn't there with me. "It's gotta be my neighbor. Ben. He must have seen my lights or heard the noise made by the Frantiks..."

I stopped short. The Frantiks? Which was worse--talking to a voice in my head, or believing a make-believe sitcom band had been in my apartment in these wee, wee hours?

No, the voice repeated. Female voice. Familiar. Ben's not at your door. No one's at your door.

My phone rang.

No it didn't.

Silence. My phone was quiet.

It's okay. 

My lights dimmed by themselves.

You need to get some rest.

I protested, out loud, to this voice that couldn't have been there. "I'm an insomniac! I can't just 'get some rest,' for God's sake! It's not that easy...."

It will be easy tonight. It will get easier in some future nights, too. But let's at least make it easy for you tonight.

And I felt...tired. Tired, but in a comfortable way.

It's okay. You've earned the right to relax.

I felt the calm embrace me, like a comfy blanket.

Go back to bed.

And then I recognized the voice.

Don't worry about that right now. Relax.

Angel. It was Angel.

We can talk about that another time, Valerie. Right now, it's important that you get some rest. Please, Valerie. Go back to bed. Go back to sleep. 

And I did.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment