Saturday, July 11, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: Hamilton



Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my story about actor Leslie Odom Jr., Broadway, live theater, old friends, and the 2016 Tony Awards: Hamilton.

At this writing, I have not yet seen Hamilton, but I do subscribe to Disney +, and very soon now my TV room will transform itself into the room where it happens. I can't wait.

When I wrote the Hamilton piece in 2016, I also had not ever seen a play on Broadway. I had seen Jesus Christ Superstar off-Broadway in 1973, Wicked in London's West End in 2010, and a number of touring productions, local presentations, and college, high school, and younger-grade plays, starting in either the late '60s or very early '70s. But I never made it to the Great White Way until 2019, when lovely wife Brenda and I took a bus to New York for a day trip, and scored tickets to the revival of Oklahoma! We had planned to make such Broadway jaunts an annual event for us, but the quarantine scene squashed that plan for now. We'll get back to Broadway someday.

Meanwhile, I've detailed my own history as a lover of theater in a post called "All The World's A Stage," and followed that with "The Show Must Go On! (Oh, The Shows I've Seen)," an attempt to list every play I've ever seen in live performance.



While seeing Hamilton stream on TV won't be the same as witnessing it in person, it will join a select group of movies based on plays that I've re-watched recently: 1776 and Bye Bye Birdie, both thanks to Turner Classic Movies. My Fair Lady is on the DVR, so we'll likely get to that one at some point.

(I couldn't even attempt a list of movie musicals I've seen over the decades, whether based on a play or otherwise. The list would include West Side Story, Grease, Oliver!, The Music Man, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Into The Woods, Carousel, Hello Dolly, Cinderella, The Sound Of Music, Singin' In The Rain, The Wizard Of Oz, Guys And Dolls, The Wiz [one of the worst movies I've ever seen], Cabaret, Chicago, Hairspray, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Train Ride To Hollywood, Sweet Charity, Rent, Enchanted, some Elvis flicks, that episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (which totally counts), and many more. And dramas adapted from stage to screen? From Romeo and Juliet to Our Town, I've seen a few of those, too.

But today, I am not throwing away my shot at Hamilton, the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will contain 155 essays about 155 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment