Saturday, April 30, 2016

Memories Of THE MALTESE PADLOCK

Facebook reminded me of this post from three years ago. I forgot all about it, but wanted to preserve it here. Another glimpse into my Secret Origin:
Noticing that tomorrow is May 1st, I found myself randomly drifting back to my misspent youth:

This is the school: North Syracuse Central High. Literally located between L. Frank Baum's mysterious woods and a 7-11, it is a suburban sprawl of subhuman literacy, its staff well-versed in the motivational and educational techniques of Torquemada, its scholars adept at evasion and insolence, its brightest prospects angling for position on a post office wall, its lunchroom entrance adorned with a warning, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." I work here. I carry my books.

We were working the day watch out of boredom. The boss is Bruce Springsteen. My partner's in denial. My name's Mayday.
--
As a high school student in the '70s, I wrote a series of Dragnet parodies for the school paper, The NorthCaster. Beginning with "The Maltese Padlock" in 1975, continuing with "Jaws Of The Maltese Padlock," and culminating with "Saturday Night At The Shootout"--there may have been one additional entry, but I don't remember--these were my first published attempts at writing humor. They don't hold up--how could they?--but they crossed my mind today. So here's to the teen years, and here's to Mayday.

No comments:

Post a Comment