Tuesday, July 27, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: Les McKeown, the voice of the Bay City Rollers

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my tribute to Les McKeown, the voice of the Bay City Rollers.

This piece, assembled in the immediate aftermath of McKeown's death in April of this year, includes entries I've written about the Bay City Rollers in my weekly 10 Songs feature, plus links to most of what else I've written about the Rollers for this blog. This one 10 Songs entry appeared subsequently:

THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Ain't It Strange

As far as I know, this obscure track from the Bay City Rollers' 1974 debut album Rollin' has never been issued in the U.S. "Ain't It Strange" was written by Rollers Eric Faulkner, Woody Wood, and Les McKeown, and it doesn't sound much like any of the group's best-known material; in my head, it sounds more along the lines of a ballad by the likes of Ronnie Lane with the Faces, or maybe a Badfinger album track, rather than a "Saturday Night" or a "Rock And Roll Love Letter." That comparison isn't exact, and probably not even accurate. But it's what my mind is telling me as I hear the song play. Ain't it...y'know?

I betcha I'll write more about the Bay City Rollers in the future. For now, this salute to the group's late lead singer Les McKeown serves as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment