Tuesday, July 20, 2021

She's Dian. And she was the Most

Singer Dian Zain passed away last week. You may not have heard her name before. But if you were part of the Bright Lights punk/new wave scene here in Syracuse in the late '70s and very early '80s, you knew Dian. She was, in some ways, our brightest light, a pint-sized bundle of energy and enthusiasm, dancing, singing, bopping, and preaching a Gospel of rock 'n' roll. 

Dian's highest public profile came as the lead singer of the Most from 1979 to 1980. Even before that, she was the face of punk in Syracuse, an androgynous figure with razor-cut hair and razor-cut clothing, reigning benevolently o'er the dancefloor at Flashcubes shows circa '77-'79. 'Cubes guitarist Paul Armstrong was her boyfriend at the time, and Dian was a relentless de facto 'Cubes promoter. Dian thought the Flashcubes deserved to be stars. She never shied from proclaiming that conviction.

I saw her join the Flashcubes on stage a couple times, I think. I remember a show at the Firebarn in 1978, when the 'Cubes backed Dian as she sang the Patti Smith Group's "Because The Night." She wanted the Flashcubes to hit big, but she had personal ambitions, as well. She didn't just want to be a star's girlfriend. Dian wanted to be a star herself.

Toward that end, Dian recorded a single in 1979. Paul Armstrong's on there, along with Zenny Caucasian and Ducky Carlisle of the Ohms. The B-side was "(Do The) Jumping Jack," a Paul Armstrong song from the Flashcubes' early days. The A-side was a Dain Zain original, "Take A Chance."

PA: Hey, ya goin' to the dance tonight?
Dian: Yeah, what else is there?

Paul and Dian's spoken exchange opens "Take A Chance," a pure pop confection that would have been worthy of Blondie. The "Take A Chance"/"(Do The) Jumping Jack" 45 was pressed and nearly ready for release that summer of '79, when Paul Armstrong was suddenly dismissed from the Flashcubes. Paul joined Dian's new combo, alongside members of a Watertown band called the Upbeats: guitarist Derek Knott, bassist Tommy O'Reilly, and drummer Judd Williams. It was too late to change the label on the 45, which credits the single to just Dian Zain. But there was time to create a picture sleeve, showing the members of this new band and introducing them to the world with their debut single. Ladies and gentlemen, THE MOST!!

That's Judd. He's the Most! That's Derek. He's the Most! That's Paul. He's the Most! That's Tommy. He's the Most! I'm Dian. And WE'RE THE MOST!

The Most made their live debut in August of '79, opening for the fabulous British pop group the Records at Stage East in East Syracuse. As she did at all of the Most's early live shows, Dian started the set by introducing the members of the Most before they launched into their opening number, an incredible pop song called "Let's Go Out Tonight."

Come on all you little girls and boys
Let's all go out tonight!

Chills. I was there at that first show, and at as many subsequent shows as I could witness. Over the approximate year of their existence, through three different distinct line-ups, the Most developed a killer repertoire, including Paul's Cubic remnants "Sold Your Heart" and "I'm Not The Liar," Tommy's "Best Of Me," ace interpretations of the Rolling Stones, the Heartbreakers, and the Rascals, and more originals: "(I Wanna) Bop With You," "Pinball NY," "Girls Don't Pay," "Think Twice," "Rockerfeller," "Who Am I?," "Habits," "Tomboys," "Cold War," "I Love You," "Not Guilty," "After School," and still more my memory refuses to concede at this late date. I was a fan. I was a big, big fan.

Image courtesy of Tamaralee Shutt

The members of the Upbeats returned to Watertown by the end of '79. Paul and Dian formed a brief alliance with the Ohms, as that group would open for the Most and then become the Most, Dian, PA, Zenny, Ducky, and Keith Korvair. A new Most formed in 1980, with bassist Dave Anderson and drummer Dick Hummer. In the summer of 1980, Hummer departed the group for his own solo act the Machine + Hummer; Ducky returned to the kit for the short remainder of the Most's tenure.

Dian and Paul's personal relationship ended in 1980, though they stayed together in the Most until, I guess, around August of 1980. Dian formed a new group, Zain Grey, and Paul, Dave, and Ducky became 1.4.5.

From my first Flashcubes shows in 1978 through my final Most shows in 1980, Dian was always nice to me. She appreciated people who shared her passion for rock 'n' roll, fellow fans of the beat and the bounce and the bright, bright lights. We'd chat between sets at 'Cubes gigs, and we'd talk more and more as the Most happened. At one Firebarn show, I was among several revelers brought on stage to help the Most sing the Flashcubes' "Got No Mind." The stage collapsed under all that extra weight--not my extra weight, 'cuz my part of the stage remained intact--and I reached out and grabbed Dian before she fell. Hey, I'm a fan and a hero!

Hey, speaking of that. I decided I wanted the Most to play in my college town of Brockport. I visited Dian and Paul's house in Solvay (actually within Syracuse city limits, but PA said everything west of Cookie Caloia's was in Solvay), and we hatched plans to bring the Most to Brockport. That show was a huge success, and Dian thanked me from the stage. Members of my circle shouted back, "He's my roommate!," "He's my boyfriend!," and "He's my hero!" Dian responded, "Well, he's our hero, too." Preen! I was paid forty dollars cash for securing the Brockport gig. As Dian gave me my commission, she said, "Here's the money, honey. You earned it."

Scan courtesy of Wes Connors

In that time frame, when I firmly (and correctly) believed that Syracuse groups were at least as good as any groups anywhere, the Most were my favorite local group. Yes, even more than the Flashcubes, at least in '79-'80. Both groups should have been huge. When I was 20, I imagined a jukebox rock 'n' roll flick called Let's Go Out Tonight!, a never-in-a-million-years movie that would have starred then-recent Playboy model Bo Derek and featured the Most on-screen singing the title tune. I so wanted them to succeed. But after that debut 45 of "Take A Chance," the Most only released one more track, "Rockerfeller," on a Rochester, NY compilation LP called From The City That Brought You...Absolutely Nothing. I did not return to Syracuse after graduating from college in 1980. I never had an opportunity to see Zain Grey. I didn't have any chance to speak with Dian Zain for decades.

I remain a fan. I remain disappointed that the Most's great songs are mostly lost to the public; if anyone wants to go into the vaults and dig out the Most's unreleased tracks for a CD compilation, I call dibs on writing the liner notes. Hell, this piece could be the liner notes. Yeah, I for damned sure remain a fan.


And I did speak again with Dian in 2014, when my
This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio co-host Dana Bonn and I were helping to put together the first Bright Lights! Syracuse punk and new wave rock 'n' roll reunion show at Syracuse's Lost Horizon. The show was Paul Armstrong's idea; he had rejoined the Flashcubes years ago, and he would be playing at Bright Lights! with both 1.4.5. and the headlining 'Cubes. I asked him about the possibility of reuniting the Most, and he agreed. With that decided, I coordinated some logistics with Dian via email and telephone. On July 19, 2014, Dana and I introduced the Most as they reclaimed the Lost Horizon stage. Dian took over from there. I'm Dian, and WE'RE THE MOST! Yeah. Let's all go out tonight!

Today, Dian Zain is mourned by her family and friends, remembered as a mother and grandmother and a rock 'n' roll spirit beyond compare. I wish a wider audience had the chance to remember her now as a star. She was a star. The face of the Syracuse new wave. The voice of the fans, and the diminutive embodiment of our brightest lights. The lights are dimmer today. She was Dian. And she was the Most. She still is.

Ya goin' to the dance tonight?

Yeah.

What else is there?

Image courtesy of Tamaralee Shutt

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

3 comments:

  1. “Whoa” as Zain would often say when in awe. This is spot on and she’s so deserving of this tribute. Just last night the memory of her powerful voice shouting, “I’m Dian and we’re THE MOST!” played in my head that is spinning over her departure. From the moment I first saw her on the dance floor at The Boardwalk at a cubes show, she mesmerized me. She had something I’d never seen before nor have I witnessed since. She possessed pure, raw, unadulterated energy and was not only one of a kind but one of a lifetime. I, too, was partial to The Most at that time, largely because of Zain's unique, outside the box, unbridled energy. She was unstoppable. She was wild and free and moved, sang, spoke, shouted, screamed with abandon. She was a fish out of water without music and was eager to perform again locally and was looking forward to performing once again at the 2022 Max’s Kansas City reunion. Peter Crowley of Max’s did “Take a Chance” on her and Max’s became her playground amongst other venues. She loved NYC and we had extraordinary adventures there. I never had the chance to see or hear her band Beggars Banquet but she spoke of them. Zain was my longtime soul star sister, friend and comrade. She loved and adored her children and grandchildren. She extended kindness to strangers and to many, volunteered at her Church and was Cat rescue Mommy to countless unwanted felines that she breathed life back into giving them names as catchy as her tunes. How I wish she’d come back for an encore. Then again, she’s Zain so anything is possible! Thank you for your devotion and for the wonderful piece you dedicated to her.

    “Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    When I die and they lay me to rest
    Gonna go to the place that's the best”

    “If you believe in forever
    Then life is just a one-night stand
    If there's a rock and roll heaven
    Well you know they've got a hell of a band, band, band”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am Dian's daughter (Cianna Zain) to whom the single was dedicated. I love that that's our old home address on phone number on the album. I just want to say thank you so much. This post is an incredible reflection of such a wonderful time in her life. It brings me back to what was a very happy time in life and I am grateful.
    Luciannna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Much respect to you, and our condolences.

      Delete