Saturday, July 24, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: THE EVERLASTING FIRST: The Romantics

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a look back at my introduction to the music of the Romantics.

This piece is part of my series The Everlasting First, which revisits my discoveries of various musical performers and comic-book characters. The A-Z series, each letter represented by one superhero and one rock 'n' roll act (or something along those lines), got as far as T is for TARZAN, and will resume some day with T is for THE TURTLES. Eventually. If I ever get through Z (the Zombies and Zorro), the series will still continue sporadically after that, untethered to alphabetic expectations. 

I also tweaked my Romantics reminiscence to serve as a chapter in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). This book has no current path to publication, but don't me count me out; it ain't dead yet. If the book does move forward, the Romantics chapter may or may not be included. I mean, it's done, I made a video for it in my Greatest Record Ever Made! series on YouTube, but I'm undecided about how well it fits the flow of the book. I'd like to leave the chapter in place, if only because it allows an opportunity for the book to mention the importance of Brockport's Main Street Records in my own rockin' pop development. Ultimately, the chapter will either feel like it fits or it won't feel like it fits. I have plenty of time to make that decision.

(And, as noted, the dream of a GREM! book is not over. I've had to backburner it in favor of other projects for now--including a different book with a well-lit path to publication--but I'm still working on GREM!, as well. An infinite number of songs can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. My turn will come.)

The Romantics were an essential part of The Kids Are Alright!, my lengthy history of power pop. And you can read my Goldmine review of a Romantics live album here

But, like all stories, my history with the Romantics had to start somewhere. The little white truth of my discovery of the Romantics is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment