Saturday, April 27, 2024

VIRTUAL TICKET STUB GALLERY: THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Rather than complain again about who's in and who's not in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame--other than noting once again #inductthemonkees, and add Chubby Checker ferchristsake--here's a list of RnRHoF acts I've seen in live performance.

Some of these should carry an asterisk, I guess. I didn't actually see Blondie, at least not under that billing, but I did see Debbie Harry and Chris Stein, and if I'm counting the Clash without Mick Jones I say it's fair to call Debbie 'n' Chris Blondie. I've never seen a full Ringo Starr show, but I did attend Ringo's press conference in Rama, Ontario in 2003, and Ringo and his All-Starr Band played brief live teases of various songs at that presser.

And the Shirelles? I saw a vocal group claiming to be the Shirelles play in a shopping-mall parking lot in the '80s. Coulda been fakes, but also could have been legit.


THE ANIMALS
THE BEACH BOYS
BLONDIE [Debbie Harry and Chris Stein]
DAVID BOWIE
RAY CHARLES
CHEAP TRICK
CHICAGO
THE CLASH
ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS
THE CRICKETS
BO DIDDLEY
BOB DYLAN
EARTH, WIND AND FIRE
THE EVERLY BROTHERS
THE FOUR TOPS
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS
BILLY JOEL
CAROLE KING
THE KINKS
KISS
GLADYS KNIGHT
PAUL McCARTNEY
TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
GENE PITNEY
THE PRETENDERS
PRINCE
THE RAMONES
THE RASCALS
THE ROLLING STONES
SANTANA
PETE SEEGER
THE SHIRELLES
RINGO STARR
TALKING HEADS
TINA TURNER
THE VENTURES

ALMOSTS! [Hall of Fame acts I would have seen if things had played out a little bit differently than stupid real life]:

ALICE COOPER
JAMES BROWN
FOREIGNER
HEART
RICK NELSON
LOU REED
SMOKEY ROBINSON

And a few notable acts I did see that OUGHTA be inducted awready:

BADFINGER 
THE BANGLES
CHUBBY CHECKER
TOMMY JAMES
THE MONKEES
PETER, PAUL AND MARY
IGGY POP
THE REPLACEMENTS
PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS
THE RUNAWAYS
THE SHANGRI-LAS
THE TURTLES

A few more should-be-inducted worthies for whom I saw shows by individual members but not the whole group:

MOTT THE HOOPLE
THE NEW YORK DOLLS

Plus RICK JAMES, who I never had a chance to see perform, but spotted a couple of times out in public when I lived in Buffalo in the '80s. Only worth mentioning here because, y'know:

WHY ISN'T RICK JAMES IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME...?!

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment