Wednesday, April 17, 2024

GABBA GABBA HEY! Moving forward, forming in a straight line

Quick follow-up to yesterday's post whining about the ignominious retail fate of my book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones. First off, a big ol' bucket o' thank-yous to all of you who offered words of comfort, support, and encouragement, and to those who advised me to stop wallowing in self-pity. I appreciate every syllable of it all.

I talked about the book's failure to sell enough copies to cover the publisher's cost. It's important to reiterate that, as disappointed as I am with its dismal commercial performance, I remain very, very proud of Gabba Gabba Hey! It's a good book, and it's a good Ramones book. I don't think there's any way the book itself could have been improved to make it more popular. I could have done a better job marketing the book, but that's Carbona under the bridge now. Some things find an audience. Some things don't.

So: Moving on.

I have started to investigate self-publishing options for my long-threatened labor of love The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). More than five years in the making, I aim to have GREM! available for purchase in some physical form (and e-book) this year, maybe even in the summer.

I'm undertaking my other two current book projects at the request of other parties. These may or may not be self-published. I hope to be able to publicly identify at least one of these books by name very, very soon. 

As I dip my mutant toe into self-publishing, I think it's time I put some of my fiction out into the retail world. None of these works have been completed yet, but I'm looking toward doing a short story collection, and to completing The Copperhead Kid. And then? We'll see what else I can fabricate.

Meanwhile, Rare Bird Books does have copies of Gabba Gabba Hey! available for purchase! If you don't already have it, but think you might dig it, our Blitzkrieg-boppin' operators are standing by. Form in a straight line. Then pile 'em in the back seat. Hey-ho! Let's GO!!

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment