Monday, November 6, 2017

THE BANDS THAT WOULD BE KINKS! Vicarious Introductions To Various Songs By The Kinks



While I was driving home from work the other day, my iPod shuffled its way to "I Need You" by The Kinks. "I Need You" was the lesser-known third entry of the early Kinks' triumvirate of powerhouse riffs, following the big 1964 hits "You Really Got Me" and "All Day And All Of The Night." Unlike those first two, "I Need You" wasn't a hit; it was, in fact, merely the B-side of the '65 single "Set Me Free." Though more obscure than its big brudders, "I Need You" nearly equals the hypnotic ferocity of its predecessors.



But my introduction to the headbanging splendor of "I Need You" did not come via The Kinks. I first heard the song when The Flashcubes included it in their live sets in 1978. Love at first power chord!

It occurred to me that there were several Kinks songs which I discovered vicariously. Among my all-time favorite rock 'n' roll acts, The Kinks are the only one where my initial exposure to a number of their classic songs came when somebody else covered 'em. That's certainly not true of any songs by The Flashcubes, The Ramones, or The Monkees. The only Beatles songs I remember first hearing second-hand were Anne Murray's "You Won't See Me" and Rain's "Helter Skelter" (from the TV mini-series about Charles Manson). I knew Cliff Richard's "Blue Turns To Grey" before I knew The Rolling Stones' original. I heard Syracuse chanteuse Nanci Hammond's rendition of "In My Room" long before I even realized it was a Beach Boys song (which was odd, because we had the Surfer Girl LP in the family collection when I was a kid, but I didn't notice it). Hell, it wasn't until the 90s that I discovered The Hollies wrote and recorded the original "Have You Ever Loved Somebody," which had been one of my Fave Raves by The Searchers. See, I never learn...!

The Kinks were a different story, and I don't know why. Ultimately, I'm grateful for whatever twisting path brought me to Muswell Hill's finest. I did become a Kinks fan before I heard any of these Kinks covers, but these well-respected men and women helped to enhance the journey.

THE FLASHCUBES



As noted, Syracuse's own power pop powerhouse The Flashcubes introduced me to The Kinks' "I Need You." It wasn't the only Kinks song I heard the 'Cubes do, but I knew "You Really Got Me," "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" and "This Man He Weeps Tonight" well before I heard The Flashcubes cover them live. (Among other songs the 'Cubes taught me were Big Star's "September Gurls," The Jam's "In The City," Eddie & the Hot Rods' "Do Anything You Wanna Do," The New York Dolls' "Personality Crisis," Chris Spedding's "Boogie City" and "Hey Miss Betty," April Wine's "Tonight Is A Wonderful Time," and Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else." I love The Flashcubes.) After hearing the 'Cubes perform "I Need You," I really wanted to hear The Kinks! However, The Kinks' Kinkdom LP was outta print at the time, and a used copy at Desert Shore Records in Syracuse was stickered with a higher price than this po' college student could afford. Finally snagged it on a budget compilation in the mid '80s.

HOLLY GOLIGHTLY



By far the most recent example on this list. When my nephew Tim co-hosted This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio a few years back, his playlist included Holly Golightly's covers of two Ray Davies songs, "Tell Me Now So I'll Know" and "Time Will Tell," both from her 2003 album Truly She Is None Other. I wasn't immediately familiar with either song--The Kinks' version of "Time Will Tell" was an unreleased demo track at the time--but they got my attention. Holly Golightly's magnificent rendition of "Time Will Tell" is one of but three Kinks covers out there that I prefer to the original version. 

HERMAN'S HERMITS



I'm pretty sure I heard Herman's Hermits' hit cover of "Dandy" well before I heard The Kinks' original. It may have been close, though; I don't remember "Dandy" on the radio at all, not even on oldies shows, so I may not have heard it until I bought a used copy of the Hermits' "Dandy" single in the late '70s.

LYRES



I once wrote in Goldmine that the great Boston group Lyres didn't want to be like the early Kinks, they wanted to be the early Kinks. I meant it as a compliment, and Lyres' On Fyre remains one of my very favorite albums of the '80s. On Fyre includes a cover of The Kinks' "Tired Of Waiting For You," and I certainly knew that one already. But I didn't know "Love Me Till The Sun Shines," a Dave Davies song, and Lyres' version just floored me. Another one of the three Kinks covers I prefer to the original.

THE PRETENDERS



Yeah, The Pretenders' "Stop Your Sobbing" is the third of the three Kinks covers I prefer to the original. Whatta record! The Pretenders also introduced me to another obscure Kinks song, "I Go To Sleep" (also covered by Peggy Lee), but "Stop Your Sobbing" was the kingpin.

THE RECORDS



The Records' 1979 eponymous debut album originally came with a 7" EP of covers. Of the four EP songs, the only original I knew beforehand was The Rolling Stones' "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby (Standing In The Shadows)." I don't think I knew Spirit's "1984." I definitely did not know Blue Ash's power pop classic "Abracadabra (Have You Seen Her)." Nor did I know The Kinks' wonderful "See My Friends," which is now one of my many favorite Kinks tracks, but which was introduced to me via a cover by The Records. Thanks, lads!

VAN HALEN



Nope. Just kidding.

And once again: why do I love The Kinks? Because they're The Kinks. And God save The Kinks.



You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, what? Just heard Dandy this morning and STILL DID NOT KNOW (even after listening to LSUG for more than a decade!) that it's a Kinks song.

    ReplyDelete