Saturday, July 6, 2019

THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! What Makes A Great Song Great?



As I continue the work of slappin' together a formal proposal for my book The Greatest Record Ever Made!, I am pummeled by a sudden epiphany that the title needs to be longer. Until I come to my senses, this book shall henceforth be known as The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Go big! It's the same knuckleheaded aesthetic that prompted us to name the first Dana & Carl CD compilation This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 1. When we did that first CD in 2004, we had no reason to believe there would ever be a sequel, but we planted our feet firmly on the notion nonetheless. Today, I have no idea if there will ever be another GREM! book--hell, I can't guarantee this first one will ever see the light of day--but I intend to let my belief in the project speak with vigor and confidence. Volume 1. It's not arrogance, 'cuz Lord knows I have nothing to be arrogant about. It's a leap of faith, baby.

I've also made a subtle change to the book's tagline: An infinite number of songs can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Switching from "infinite number of records" to my new 'n' improved "infinite number of songs" makes it clear that we're talking about individual tunes rather than albums.

I've continued to tweak the Table Of Contents, adding and subtracting records to the book's list of 100 songs. I have 101 songs selected now, and will keep on making alterations until I'm satisfied that I have the 100 I want for Volume 1. I've added a second Ramones song ("I Don't Want To Grow Up"), added an interlude about The Monkees' "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" (which sets up The Monkees' previously-announced GREM! entry "Porpoise Song"), and am trying to find a way to squeeze in Bashful Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" without expanding the book to 101 songs. Choices.

I had hoped to complete the proposal within the next week, and I've made a lot of progress, but there's still much to be done, and much to edit of what's already done. But I've been diligent, and I remain enthusiastic. 

While sifting through material for the book, its proposal, this blog, and a new short story idea--Busy? That's ME!--I stumbled across this short passage I wrote a few moths ago. I'd forgotten about it, and I think it needs to find a way into the book. For now, I'll preserve it here:

Musician and radio host Larry Hoyt recently asked this open question: What makes a great song great? I answered:

It boils down to one thing for me: the hook. That's kinda like saying you like your favorite food because it tastes good, but nonetheless, it's the hook. Whether a guitar riff (The Kinks' "You Really Got Me"), an irresistible chorus (The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop"), a lyric that conveys heartbreak ("I loved you...well, never mind" in Big Star's "September Gurls"), and some records--"The Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, "Beg, Borrow & Steal" by The Rare Breed, a number of Beatles faves--where the entirety of the track is immediate and absolute, the hook is what makes it. Whatever the hook happens to be. It's difficult to dissect--ever try to tell a stranger about rock 'n' roll?--but it's what keeps me playing my pop music loud 'n' proud.


We don't fall in love because it makes sense to fall; we fall because we fall, and hope for the best. 

I'll have more to say eventually. I'm writin' a book about it.



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Hey, Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) will contain 100 essays (and then some) about 100 tracks, plus two bonus instrumentals, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-greatest-record-ever-made-updated.html

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe FlashcubesChris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment