Saturday, August 19, 2023

THE COPPERHEAD KID: Threads of a longer narrative


The Copperhead Kid is the informal title for a series of interconnected short stories I've been writing. I began writing the series in 2019, and so far five stories have been completed and published as prose pieces in comic books published by AHOY Comics. Each of these five stories was subsequently shared on this blog:

"The Copperhead Strikes!" (a 1930s masked vigilante)
"The Copperhead Affair" (a secret agent in the 1960s)
"Chaos At The Copperhead Club" (a bass-playin, ass-kickin' teen punk chick in the '80s)
"Flight Of The Copperhead" (a reluctant present-day superhero retires)

"The Last Ride Of The Copperhead Kid" grew out of a sudden urge I had to write a Western. At first, I wasn't even going to try to sell it, figuring it was too straight for a modern professional market. I certainly didn't have any intention of continuing it as any kind of series.

Illustration by Ed Catto
But I wound up offering it to AHOY. Surprise! The AHOY folks loved it, bought it, and published it. AHOY's Tom Peyer even told me he wished more writers would try pure genre pieces. That wish may have been subject to change over time, but in 2019, it inspired me to start thinking about attempting more genre fiction.

I wasn't thinking of any sort of Copperhead Kid sequel. But I had a Batman fanfic piece called "The Undersea World Of Mr. Freeze," a story I quite liked but which had no plausible path forward. Why not repurpose one of its scenes--a fight scene!--into something else? How about a 1930s pulp hero story? And, what the hell, why not connect it to the Copperhead Kid's continuity, but with different characters, decades after the events of my Western story?

Hijinks ensued.

Illustration by Shane White
That was the real start of the idea for a Copperhead Kid series, individual tales loosely connected across generations. We met the Kid's daughter. We met the Kid's grandson. We met his great granddaughter, and his great-great granddaughter. As the stories were written, I began to think more and more of bringing them all together as a longer narrative. 

I haven't gotten very far with that idea, but I have been pulling at its threads. Here's a list of some of the potential future entries:

And Starring As The Copperhead Kid....
Bride Of The Copperhead Kid (or: The Copperhead Kid Takes A Bride)
The Copperhead Kid's New York Adventure
Copperhead Ace And The Sky Over Germany
Bullets From The Copperhead Detective
The Casebook Of Dr. Copperhead
A Planet Of Serpents
The Maltese Viper
Copperhead, LLC
Night Of The Living Copperheads
Gather The Copperheads
Return To Copperhead Ridge
Beware The Copperheads!

Illustration by Ed Catto
All very much a work in progress. I've started "The Copperhead Kid's New York Adventure" and "Bullets From The Copperhead Detective," but nothing's quite set yet.

The idea remains. The Copperhead Kid will return. The Kid claimed that he ain't no hero. But the Kid and his successors could never stand bullies. My mom always wanted me to finish writing The Copperhead Kid. I should do that. I should do that soon.

Justice strikes. It will strike yet again. Beware the Copperheads. If you're a bully, man, you won't even know what hit you.

Illustration by Ed Catto

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment