Saturday, August 5, 2023

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: Apartment Music, Part 2 [my soundtrack in my second apartment, 1982-1987]

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

Previous fake TIRnRR playlists have presented approximations of some of the music that occupied my headspace at various points in my life: when I was in high school (1973-1977), the summer before I went to college (June-August 1977), when I lived in the dorms (1977-1980), when I was home for summer breaks (summers of '78 and '79), and when I lived in my first apartment (1980-1982, with a BA in my hand and a song in my heart). Now it's time to move on to the soundtrack of my second apartment, 1982-1987.

I moved from Brockport to Buffalo in August of 1982. I spent five years in Buffalo, mostly as a failure (a story told here). I still feel the sting of that decade. But there was music; there's always music, even in the midst of dismal times.

When I lived in Buffalo, I got a job at a record store. I saw live performances by the Ramones (four times!), Prince and the Revolution, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the Kinks, the AnimalsDavid Bowie, the Clash (sort of, if the Cut The Crap tour counts), Talking Heads, the Bangles, Let's Active, Lyres, Sheila E, Culture Club, the Restless, Johnny Thunders, David Johansen, the Fleshtones, Violent Femmes, the Searchers, the Peter Tork Project, and more. The Monkees did a 3/4 reunion that put them back on the radio and gave me my first chance to see them in concert. I had great radio, courtesy of WUWU-FM and WBNY-FM. I made my first-ever freelance writing sales. There were good times to space out some of the less-than-good times.

I've tried to limit this playlist to records (or, in the case of the Flashcubes, a cherished bootleg live cassette) that I actually owned. As much as I loved hearing Grandmaster Melle Mel's "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)," the Time's "Ice Cream Castles," and X's "True Love" on BNY, I never got around to buying any of them at the time.

But I did have each of the tracks you see listed below. Let's gather 'em together and call it a radio show. This one's for you, Buffalo. I still love ya. And we'll return for a playlist for my third apartment, picking up the pieces back in Syracuse in 1987-1989.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
***And NOW AVAILABLE! This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 5!***
     CD or download

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!!

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

FAKE TIRnRR PLAYLIST: Apartment Music, Part 2 [my soundtrack in my second apartment, 1982-1987]

THE FLESHTONES: American Beat '84
FOOLS FACE: American Guilt
WILSON PICKETT: Hey Jude
R.E.M.: Burning Hell
THE LOLLIPOP SHOPPE: You Must Be A Witch
THE BARRACUDAS: His Last Summer
--
THE RAMONES: In The Park
WE FIVE: You Were On My Mind
ROKY ERICKSON: Don't Slander Me
HÜSKER DÜ: Eight Miles High
THE BANGLES: Going Down To Liverpool
DESMOND DEKKER & THE ACES: The Israelites
--
CULTURE CLUB: Church Of The Poison Mind
PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION: Raspberry Beret
THE UGLY DUCKLINGS: Nothin'
THE CICHLIDS: Did You Ever
JOHN FOGERTY: Rock And Roll Girls
THE RESTLESS: I Wanna Know
--
THE SPORTS: Who Listens To The Radio?
A-HA: Take On Me
THE MOVING SIDEWALKS: 99th Floor
THE PANDORAS: It's About Time
JAMES BROWN: Cold Sweat--Part 1
THE MONKEES: That Was Then, This Is Now
--
THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS: I've Gotta Way With Girls
LYRES: Really Want You Right Now
EDWIN STARR: War
LET'S ACTIVE: Blue Line
THE NEXT FIVE: Talk To Me Girl
THE SHOUTLESS: I Tell No Lies
--
THE KINKS: State Of Confusion
SIMPLE MINDS: Don't You Forget About Me
RICK JAMES: Give It To Me Baby
THE GO-GO'S: Turn To You
THE MEMBERS: Working Girl
THE KINGS: This Beat Goes On/Switchin'
--
TRANSLATOR: Everywhere That I'm Not
CHEROKEE: Girl I've Got News For You
SHEILA E:  The Glamorous Life
ARTISTS UNITED AGAINST APARTHEID: Sun City
MICHAEL JACKSON: Human Nature
ADAM FAITH & THE ROULETTES: It's Alright
--
JOHNNY THUNDERS: M.I.A.
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: Try Too Hard
BARON DAEMON & THE VAMPIRES: The Transylvania Twist
TALKING HEADS: Burning Down The House
VANITY: Pretty Mess
APRIL WINE: Rock Myself To Sleep
UB40: Red Red Wine
DOCTOR & THE MEDICS: Barbara Can't Dance
--
CANDY: Whatever Happened To Fun...
MIAMI SOUND MACHINE: Conga
THE CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND: Are You Gonna Be There (At The Love-In)
THE PLIMSOULS: A Million Miles Away
THE VIPERS: Tears (Only Dry)
TOMMY BOYCE & BOBBY HART: I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight
JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS: Frustrated
THE MYSTIC EYES: My Time To Leave
--
THE FLASHCUBES: She's Leaving [live]
JON & THE NIGHTRIDERS: Charge Of The Nightriders

No comments:

Post a Comment