Thursday, November 2, 2023

THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO: Crib notes for building a playlist

Each week's This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio playlist is assembled during a phone call between Dana and me, usually on Tuesday nights. In order to streamline my part of the selection process, I list a number of tracks and/or individual artists, and I use the list as a reference point while Dana and I decide what specific songs we want to program into the new show at hand.

I do this for my own convenience. By the time we get to that weekly phone call, I've already picked out a few tracks I want to play, new and old, but especially the new stuff. As Dana and I chat and start forming the playlist, picking tracks back and forth, I scan my list to help me with ideas to program alongside Dana's choices. 

And every week, I'm just as likely to program tracks that aren't on the list as I am to draw from it. This ain't rocket surgery. When we're done programming, I cut and past the list into the file for next week. Rinse. Repeat. RAWK!

For kicks, here's a glimpse at the list I used this week. I've removed tracks that are among the chosen ones for this week's show (a show which--SPOILER ALERT!--will commence with a new single by the Beatles, because how could it not?). The list moves forward to next week.

Many of these selections have already been played on previous editions of TIRnRR. Some of them will still see repeat or debut airplay eventually. Maybe some of 'em won't. But the process continues. The Best Three Hours Of Radio On The Whole Friggin' Planet can't just build itself, ya know.


20/20:
ALTHEA & DONNA: Uptown Top Ranking
ARTHUR ALEXANDER: Woman
THE ANDERSON COUNCIL: Tarot Toronto
ATHENSVILLE: Head Start
THE ATLANTICS: Teenage Flu
THE BARRACUDAS: I Can't Pretend
THE BEACH BOYS: The Girls On The Beach
JENSEN BELL: Possible Jane Situation
NICK BERTLING: There Was A Thing
BLUE ASH: Jazel Jane
THE BLUSTERFIELDS: Into The Light
JANNE BORG: The Magic Of You 
DAVID BOWIE: Karma Man
DAVID BOWIE: Let Me Sleep Beside You 
THE BROKEN HEARTS: Tuesday Evening Girl
JAMES BROWN: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
MIKE BROWNING: Moments Fly
MIKE BROWNING: Saved By The Love
THE BUZZCOCKS: Wish I Never Loved You
CARROTS: A Happy Day
THE CATHOLIC GIRLS: Hear My Prayer
DOLPH CHANEY: Nice
THE CHELSEA CURVE: How Can I (Resist You?)
THE CHOIR: I'd Rather You Leave Me
CHRIS CHURCH: I Think I Think I Like You
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE: Try Too Hard
THE COCKTAIL SLIPPERS: Good Love
THE COCKTAIL SLIPPERS: Like A Song Stuck In My Head
CRYSTAL CANYON: Catatonia
THE CRUSHING VIOLETS: Superflower
THE CYNZ: I Need You
THE DANGERMEN: Shipwrecked
DANNY THE K: Skateaway
THE DARLING BUDS: Uptight
DEADLIGHTS: Bad News Day
DEF LEPPARD: Heaven Is
DIME BOX BAND: All Of Nothing
THE DODGERS: Don't Know What You're Doing
EARTH QUAKE: Out On The Floor
THE EVENING SONS: I Gotta Gurl
THE FLESHTOINES: Just For A Smile
THE FLIRTATIONS: 
FOOLS FACE: Stand Up
GALLOWS BIRDS: So Unhappy For You
ROSE GUERIN: Red
THE GYPSY MOTHS: Tilt-A-Whirl
HAYLEY & THE CRUSHERS: Jacaranda
KENNE HIGHLAND'S AIR FORCE: I'm In Love 
BARRY HOLDSHIP: I Count The Tears
THE HOODOO GURUS: I Want You Back
THE ISLEY BROTHERS:
JAY & THE AMERICANS: Only In America
DAISY JONES & THE SIX
JUSTINE & THE UNCLEAN: The Chasm
ALLAN KAPLON: Every Single Day
KID GULLIVER: All Because Of You
KISS: Any Way You Want It
RANDY KLAWON FEATURING JENNIFER LEE & JIM BONFANTI: It's Been Too Long
THE LAST: You Won't Win
STEPHEN LAWRENSON: Here & Now
CINDY LAWSON: Let's Pretend
LEIDER: Where Did You Go?
THE LINDA LINDAS: Little Bit O' Soul
LITTLE ROGER: Caught On Video 
BILL LLOYD: Satellite
THE LONG RYDERS: Looking For Lewis & Clark
THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL: Rain On The Roof
MAD PAINTER:
TAJ MAHAL: E Z Rider
MALIBU LOU & THE ATTACKERS: Teenage Kicks
BRAD MARINO: Dame Darcy
TONY MARSICO: Rocket Girl
CAROL MARTINI: Appropriated By Love
CAROLYNE MAS: Quote Goodbye Quote
THE MIDNIGHT CALLERS: Baby Let Me Be
THE MORNING LINE: End Of The Night
THE NERVES:
NEW MATH: Hot Sounds
NEW MATH: They Walk Among You
WILLIE NILE: Don't Die
ORBIS MAX: Anyone's Yesterday
GRAHAM PARKER & THE GOLDTOPS: We Did Nothing
GRAHAM PARKER & THE GOLDTOPS: Wicked Wit
TEDDY PENDERGRASS: I Don't Love You Anymore
PEZBAND:
PIPER: Bad Boy
NICK PIUNTI: Heart Stops Beating
PLASTICSOUL: The Ghost In Between Us
THE POLICE: Spirits In The Material World
POPSICKO: No Better Time
POPULAR CREEPS: Wait And See
PSYCHOTIC YOUTH:
JOHNATHAN PUSHKAR: I Gotta Move
SUZI QUATRO: Tear Me Apart
RANSOM & THE SUBSET: Don't Remember What Was Her Name 
THE RASPBERRIES:
THE RECORDS: All Messed Up And Ready To Go
RINEHARTS: Could You Would You
THE ROMANTICS:
ROOFTOP SCREAMERS FEATURING TIM SMITH: Another Life
THE RUNAWAYS: American Nights
THE RUNAWAYS: Hollywood
BOZ SCAGGS: Lido Shuffle
SCREEN TEST: Psycho [live]
THE SHANG HI LOS: 
THE SHIVVERS: Please Stand By
SHOES:
SLD:
SLADE: Do We Still Do It
SLADE: Mama Weer All Crazee Now
THE SPONGETONES: One More Day
STAG: Closer
STEVENSON & COMPANY: You're In Love
STEVE STOECKEL: Christine
STEVE STOECKEL: Laura Lynn
STRANGERS IN A STRANGE LAND: World In Action
THE SUCCESSFUL FAILURES: Millions Of People
SUPER 8:
BOBBY SUTLIFF: Griffin Bay
TAMBOURINE PEOPLE: Lights
THE TORIES: Not What It Appears
TRIP SHAKESPEARE: Reception
TANYA TUCKER:
THE VAPOUR TRAILS: Reminisce
VEGAS WITH RANDOLPH: 
CHRIS VON SNEIDERN: Goodnight Sailor 
THE WELL WISHERS: So Important
THE WHIFFS: Wanted

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment