Thursday, November 9, 2023

GABBA GABBA HEY! Marking six months since the publication of my book about THE RAMONES


This week marks six months since the publication of my book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones. The book's official street date from my publisher Rare Bird Books was May 9th, though preorders started making their way into the hands of readers before that. My first book! It's been a heady experience, and an absolute thrill.

It will be a little while yet before I see any accounting for the book, but I get the impression it's done okay. There haven't been many reviews; I know of Rich Rossi's write-up in Power Pop News, Bruce Brodeen plugged it in his farewell Pop Geek Heaven, Zandt McCue reviewed it on Goodreads, S. W. Lauden hyped it in his guest appearance on The Spoon podcast (and he also  interviewed me for Remember The Lightning), and, of course, there was the one-star Amazon review ("nothing new here"), to which some of my valued friends were kind enough to offer a rebuttal. If you know of additional write-ups out there somewhere, please let me know.

Here's a timeline of the book's genesis. In the six months that have passed since then, I've appeared on the Syracuse TV talk show Bridge Street, did a book release party (with live music from Perilous and 1.4.5.) at The 443 Social Club and Lounge (at which event I even got to join the bands to sing "Rockaway Beach"), did an in-store appearance at Parthenon Books in Syracuse, and another in-store at Barnes and Noble in DeWitt. Throughout April and May, I made sure to spotlight some Ramones music on each weekly edition of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl, culminating in our Memorial Day weekend special GABBA GABBA HEY! A Celebration Of The Ramones.

At Syracuse's mighty Parthenon Books

In June, it was off to New York City for an in-store at Generation Records in the East Village. That trip was...humbling. But worth it. The tale of Gabba Gabba Hey's Big Apple run is told in two parts, first here, then here

Michael Mitsch and me at Generation Records

Back in Syracuse, I had a wonderful time being interviewed by TK99's Rick Deyulio in July, and I did one more in-store in August, at Sound Garden. Both of these events were simply delightful. 

CC and lovely wife Brenda Ramone at Sound Garden

I tell ya, even acknowledging a few misfires and miscalculations along the way, most everything involved over the course of these last six months plugging the book has been a blast anna half. It's been wonderful to have this opportunity to talk about the Ramones, to chat with other Ramones fans, and to hear positive responses from people who've read and enjoyed my book. I was particularly tickled when Amy Rigby sent me this photo taken at Rough Trade in London:

Speechless? Nonsense. I can still say Gabba Gabba HEY!

Six months in, I still hope to do more on behalf of my little Ramones book. I have feelers out to a couple of resources, but nothing definite, and perhaps nothing to come of them. But I'm available. My own supply of copies for sale is getting low, but the book is still on the shelves (autographed!) at Parthenon Books in Syracuse, still available from the publisher, and from Kool Kat Musik, and from whatever resource you prefer to buy your books. 

And yeah, I have another book written and awaiting approval. Here's hopin'. Man, it's been a pretty good six months, and the good folks at Rare Bird Books made it happen. I'd be delighted to continue with this. Hey-ho, let's...y'know.

Photo by John Tierney

Photo by Michael Mitsch

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment