Saturday, February 10, 2024

OK COMMUTER: Internet Radio In My Car


I've often mentioned how my car is my favorite place to listen to music. Recently, I've started to listen to a few more podcasts and internet radio during my commutes. Yep: Welcome to this shiny new millennium, Carl! A couple of decades late, sure, but...welcome!

Prior to the last year or so, my in-car internet soundtracks were generally limited to specific shows I downloaded and stashed on my iPod. My iPod was (and remains) my primary resource for music while commuting. I occasionally mix in a little SiriusXM and terrestrial radio, but the iPod has usually been in charge.

The mild clunkiness of downloading podcasts to the iPod applied a heavy asterisk on my interest. It didn't occur to me to just plug in my phone instead. Duh. That is, of course, how I listen now. Sorry for the delay, all you internet radio providers. I'm not a Luddite; I'm just inept.

The Spoon and Only Three Lads have been my go-to weekly podcasts, and I try to catch the first twenty minutes of Mike Murray's fabulous Whole Lotta Shakin' radio show out of Rochester (via TuneIn Radio) on my way home from work on Saturdays. Great stuff. This week, I started bookmarking favorites in Live365, beginning with Monkee Mania Radio and O3L Radio. I've also added Jim Prell's The Music Authority to my podcasts, and will likely add a few more as I figure out how.


Baby steps.

Mind you, I'm not forsaking the ol' iPod. There's something to be said for being able to shuffle randomly through a couple thousand of your own designated Fave Raves, and to be able to hit repeat play of Holly Golightly's "Time Will Tell," or Headgirl's "Please Don't Touch," or the Ramones' [fill in a few dozen song titles here], for those occasions when the needs of a twenty-minute commute can only be served by a single track played over and over again. 

But I'm supplementing with podcasts and internet radio. I'm a 21st century boy. OK commuter: Get in gear. And turn it up

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment