Sunday, July 26, 2026

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio # 1347


This week, our pop community mourns the passing of Jim Prell. Jim was a dedicated music fan and an incredible supporter of independent artists, and he proved that time and time again on his radio show The Music Authority. I can't say that I really knew Jim all that well, but I knew him well enough to consider him a friend.

Although both Jim and I had a deep connection with the Syracuse new wave and power pop scene of decades ago, I don't think I met Jim until 2014. That was the year that Dana and I helped present the first Bright Lights! Syracuse New Wave Rock 'n' Roll Reunion Show, bringing back a number of the great 'Cuse bands from that era and witnessing as they plugged in and bid the silly concept of aging (or worse, maturity) to get stuffed. It was a magic, magic night, and I can't prove this, but my Swiss cheese memory insists that Jim flew in from his home in Florida to be a part of that evening. A bright light again!

Jim returned to the 'Cuse for subsequent Bright Lights! shows in 2016 and 2017, and his enthusiasm was unwavering and infectious. Later, he was kind enough to tell us that This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio was one of his inspirations in doing The Music Authority, though I'm pretty sure his passion for rockin' pop sound would have led him to create The Music Authority no matter what. I was hoping to see him again this fall, at a live music event being planned as a memorial for Paul Armstrong, guitarist for the Flashcubes and the single person most responsible for kick-starting the Syracuse New Wave scene that Jim and I cherished so much. Jim should be at that show. Hell, Paul Armstrong should be at that show, along with Ducky Carlisle. Scott Cornish. Jack Lipton. Norm Mattice. So many others, all departed from this world we know. Our list of losses grows and gathers weight. 

Our memories stand, and no weight will stop us from standing tall. We will reminisce out loud, and we will celebrate the bonds that brought us this far. As Paul Armstrong sings with the Flashcubes: All I want to do is reminisce with you.

Godspeed, Jim. We thank you for the days. And this is what rock 'n' roll radio sounded like on another Sunday night in Syracuse this week.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream, and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO

You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). You can follow Carl's daily blog at Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do).

TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

Carl's new book Guitars Vs. Rayguns!! Short Stories And Other White Lies is available! Read about it here. Autographed copies of Carl's previous book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1) are available here, and you can still get Carl's previous previous book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones from publisher Rare Bird Books. If you like the books, please consider leaving a rating and/or review at the usual online resources.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download
Volume 5: CD or download

TIRnRR # 1347: 7/26/2026
TIRnRR FRESH SPINS! Songs we think we ain’t played before are listed in bold

THE FOUR TOPS: Reach Out I'll Be There (Motown, The Ultimate Collection)
THE HALF/CUBES: The Ghost At Number One (Jem, single)
GANG OF FOUR: Natural's Not In It (Rhino, Entertainment!)
--
BANDA AL9: Complicated Girls (Wicked Cool, Hey! Hey! We're Banda AL9)
GRAHAM PARKER AND THE GOLDTOPS: Hotel Chambermaid (Big Stir, Quality Footwear: Live At The Brook)
TIGER BOMB: Run Away (Get Hip, 15 Super Hits)
BLONDIE: One Way Or Another (Chrysalis, The Platinum Collection)
--
THE KRAYOLAS: Summertime Boys (single)
CLOCKWORK FLOWERS: Autobiography Of A Band (single)
THE RAIDERS: The Boys In The Band (Alala, Collage)
BRIAN ENO: Blank Frank (Island, Here Come The Warm Jets)
BOBBY WOMACK: Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words) (EMI, Midnight Mover: The Bobby Womack Story)
THE MONOCHROME SET: He's Frank (Cherry Red, VA: Optimism/Reject [UK D-I-Y Punk and Post-Punk 1977-1981])
--
THE MORNING LINE: Anhedonia (Big Stir, single)
SUNBUZZ: Anna Lee (n/a, Songs From The North Shore)
THE GREENBERRY WOODS: Waiting 'Round For Something To Go Wrong (Big Stir, It's All Good, Sugar)
CHRIS VON SNEIDERN: Annalisa (Heyday, Sight & Sound)
THE BANGLES: Anna Lee (Sweetheart Of The Sun) (Down Kiddie, Sweetheart Of The Sun)
--
MIKE BROWNING: She Gets Carried Away (single)
KLARK KENT: Away From Home (BMG, Klark Kent)
THE HIGH FREQUENCIES: Subterranean Homesick Blues (Jem, VA: Jem Records Celebrates Bob Dylan)
GEORGE HARRISON: Blow Away (Dark Horse, Best Of Dark Horse 1976-1989)
PAUL COLLINS: Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Jem, VA: Jem Records Celebrates Bob Dylan)
NRBQ: Blues Stay Away From Me (Sundazed, Workshop)
--
THE WEEKLINGS: Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35 (Jem, VA: Jem Records Celebrates Bob Dylan)
THE CULT: Rain
THELMA HOUSTON: Jumpin' Jack Flash (Spectrum, The Best Of Thelma Houston)
SISTER ROSETTA THARPE: Didn't It Rain (OXFORD AMERICAN: VA: Up South--The Great Migration Of Southern Sound)
THE BLUE HERONS: Promises (Shelflife, Demon Slayer)
THE GRIP WEEDS: I See The Rain (Jem, DiG)
--
The Greatest Record Ever Made!
THE ROLLING STONES: She's A Rainbow (Abkco, Their Satanic Majesties Request)
AMY RIGBY: Last Night's Rainbow (Tapete, Hang In There With Me)
TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS: Pressure Drop (Island Jamaica, Time Tough The Anthology)
THE SELECTER: Three Minute Hero (EMI, Greatest Hits)
BETH PEABODY: Out And About (single)
BILL LLOYD: Kissed Your Sister (New Boss Sounds, Back To Even)
--
SKOOSHNY: Crossing Double Lines (Think Like A Key Music, The Recordings 1971-1981)
THE SMALL FACES: Jump Back (Audio Vaults, Transmissions 1965-1968)
THE SPONGETONES: Lifetimeline (Big Stir, single)
THE MUFFS: Blow Your Mind (Honest Don's, Alert Today Alive Tomorrow)
GUIDED BY VOICES: Hot Freaks (Matador, The Best Of Guided By Voices: Human Amusements At Hourly Rates)
THE BEAT: Walking Out On Love (Wagon Wheel, The Beat)
--
THE CHELSEA CURVE: I Can't Help (Rum Bar, The Rideout)
THE RAMONES: I Remember You (Rhino, Leave Home)
KIM WILDE: Kids In America (Cherry Red, Kim Wilde)
MICHAEL SIMMONS: America (Big Stir, Fun Where You Can Find It)
LETTERS TO CLEO: Cruel To Be Kind (Big Beat, VA: Girls Go Power Pop!)
THE BEATLES: I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Apple, Abbey Road)
--
THE KINKS: Days (Sanctuary, The Anthology 1964-1971)

1 comment: