Thursday, May 26, 2016

10,000 Miles High: The Monkees, Batman, and BRIGHT LIGHTS!


http://www.tvhistorypod.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/the-monkees-1966-publicity-photo.jpg
 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEioViTABI4kgmhF0cU6xWazWwumDMKV_BF4s0c4iBDi6MhdKc-5Rww-fqZzcCSE147zEozhzpmyYX3w2aRpbNCXSo0dWaIxBIiMi1suknOkzEY9IbGKOO5m8Z7cksIaOQGor0b_Xr5bmYqH/s1600/10368806_10152550866590270_4176065796178068360_o.jpghttps://brainstomping.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/dc-comics-rebirth-1.jpg
                

Forgot to mention that this blog passed 10,000 views last weekend, largely due to Monkees fans who've followed links to get here from Monkees Live Almanac and the Steve Hoffman forums.  Anticipation for The Monkees' new album Good Times! has reached a fever pitch, and for good reason.  I've been listening to it non-stop all week, and it will be the subject of Friday's blog post--my first album review in over a decade!  As I started writing the review, I hoped the process would be like riding a bike, and it was--I fell off several times, just like the last time I rode a bike.  Consistency!  Nonetheless, the review is nearly done, and should be posted tomorrow.  (SPOILER ALERT:  I like the album a lot.)

For those thinking of attending our July 3rd  BRIGHT LIGHTS! Syracuse New Wave Rock 'n' Roll Reunion, please be advised that tickets are on sale NOW, and are going fast.  As noted previously, this is a smaller venue than the 2014 show, so a sellout before the day of show is a real possibility.  The show takes place at Funk N' Waffles' downtown Syracuse location, 307-313 South Clinton Street.  Show starts promptly at 7pm, with sets by Tom Kenny, The Flashcubes, Screen Test, The Trend, The Dead Ducks, Maura & the Bright Lights, and a tribute to the late Norm Mattice, performed by The Richards:  guitarists Paul Armstrong and Mark Doyle. bassist Steve Steele, drummer Ed Steele, plus a special guest vocalist who'll be familiar to fans of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--and no, it's not Dana & Carl!  We are the on-stage hosts, though, and we will be making a short appearance with one of the other acts on the bill.  You can't miss this one!  Sunday, July 3rd at Funk N' Waffles downtown, where all the lights are bright!  Tickets are $12 in advance, $15 at the door (if available), so get 'em here.

The day after I posted my Batman-Aquaman pulp story The Undersea World Of Mr. Freeze, which was my love letter to Bronze Era (aka 1970s) DC Comics, DC Comics rolled out  DC Universe Rebirth, which is itself a love letter to past eras of DC Comics.  As a fan who still buys comics every week, I've been put off by a feeling that DC doesn't care for middle-aged nerd...um, readers, so I've been buying DCs with less and less frequency.  On the evidence of DC Universe Rebirth, I'm guessing DC missed me, and wants me back.  And if this book is an indication of what I can expect from DC in the near future, then I'm ready to try 'em again. 

(Incidentally, if you like this blog, do me a favor:  check out that Batman story linked above, and tell me what you think.  My attempts at fiction don't get a lot of traction or attention; I'm delighted that my pop music punditry resonates with folks, and I'll continue with that, but I'd like to hear feedback on the fiction stuff, too.  Honestly, I thought the Batman story was among the best things I've ever written, and it may just lie outside the wheelhouse of people who visit here (or it just may be not as I good as I think it is), but the only comment I got about that story was from my lovely wife.  And she has to like me--I pay the car loan!)

Awright--done whining for now.  Review of The Monkees' Good Times! tomorrow!  Lessee if I can get this damned bike to stay upright.


No comments:

Post a Comment