Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Reconsidering The Monkees, Part 2: Only True In Fairy Tales [A Three-CD BEST OF THE MONKEES]



Continuing a 50th anniversary reassessment of the best of The Monkees, factoring in tracks from the group's splendid 2016 album Good Times! alongside the rest of The Monkees' recorded legacy. We started with a 4-disc best-of set called Rows Of Houses That Are All The Same, and continue today with a 3-CD set we call Only True In Fairy Tales.  Like our 4-disc set, this is arranged in rough chronological order (albeit lightly tweaked here 'n' there); as we move to the 2-CD and single-disc sets, we will switch to more creative sequencing.

Only True In Fairy Tales (Carlgems 003)
A Three-CD Set Of The Best Of The Monkees

DISC 1

1. (Theme From) The Monkees
2. Last Train To Clarksville
3. I Don't Think You Know Me [Nesmith vocal]
4. I Wanna Be Free
5. Sweet Young Thing
6. Take A Giant Step
7. Papa Gene's Blues
8. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
9. The Kind Of Girl I Could Love
10. Your Auntie Grizelda
11. She
12. Sometime In The Morning
13. Mary Mary
14. Of You
15. Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
16.I'm A Believer
17. A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
18. All Of Your Toys
19. The Girl I Knew Somewhere
20.You Told Me
21. Forget That Girl
22. For Pete's Sake
23. Early Morning Blues And Greens
24. No Time
25. Shades Of Gray
26. You Just May Be The One
27. Sunny Girlfriend
28. Randy Scouse Git
29. Words

DISC 2

1. Pleasant Valley Sunday
2. Love Is Only Sleeping
3. Daily Nightly
4. Cuddly Toy
5. Salesman
6. Star Collectot
7. The Door Into Summer
8. What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round?
9. Daydream Believer
10. Goin' Down
11. Valleri
12. Tapioca Tundra
13. I'll Be Back Up On My Feet
14. Auntie's Municipal Court
15. Zor And Zam
16. D.W. Washburn
17. Porpoise Song (Theme From "Head")
18. As We Go Along
19. Circle Sky [live]
20. Can You Dig It
21. Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again
22. Daddy's Song
23. Nine Times Blue
24. You And I
25. Some Of Shelly's Blues

DISC 3

1. Listen To The Band
2. Someday Man
3. If I Ever Get To Saginaw Again
4. A Man Without A Dream
5. St. Matthew
6. Changes
7. Little Girl
8. Good Clean Fun
9. Mommy And Daddy
10. Looking For The Good Times
11. Oh My My
12. I Love You Better
13. Steam Engine
14. Time And Time Again
15. That Was Then, This Is Now
16. Heart And Soul
17. Every Step Of The Way
18. Regional Girl
19. You And I
20. Birth Of An Accidental Hipster
21. She Makes Me Laugh
22. Terrifying
23. Love To Love
24. Me & Magdalena
25. Our Own World
26. You Bring The Summer

These are the tracks dropped in transition from 4 discs to 3 discs:

"Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere"
"Smile"
"Tear Drop City" (the first U.S. A-side to be sacrificed)
"Love's What I Want"
"She Hangs Out"
"I'll Spend My Life With You"
"I Never Thought It Peculiar"
"All The King's Horses"
"Propinquity (I've Just Begun To Care)"
"She'll Be There"
"Saturday's Child"
"Wasn't Born To Follow"
"Naked Persimmon"
"P.O. Box 9847"
"Do It In The Name Of Love"
"It's Not Too Late"
"(I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love"
"Midnight"
"The Girl I Left Behind Me"
"Ditty Diego (War Chant)"
"Tear The Top Right Off My Head"
"Riu Chiu"
"Zilch"
"Lady Jane"
"Milkshake"
"You Didn't Feel That Way Last Night (Don't You Remember)"
"I Remember The Feeling"

The last one in was--again--"Our Own World." We'll see if that can survive one more cut.

NEXT TIME:  Walking Down The Street, a two-CD set of The Best Of The Monkees. Once again, we ask everyone to remain too busy singing to put anybody down.




No comments:

Post a Comment