Friday, August 19, 2016

Blogkeeping At 25,000 Views



25,000 views? I'll take it!

After technical woes sidelined Westcott Radio's webcast for about a month, the mighty, mighty Papa Andy Chertow has managed to cast the demons out, and we resumed webcasting a couple of days ago.  The link is the same, www.westcottradio.org, but only the high-band option remains; low-band has gone the way of the dodo, the eight-track, parachute pants, and (one hopes) reality TV stars. This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio returns live on Sunday, August 21st, from 9 to Midnight Eastern.



Looking ahead to Friday, September 2nd, Syracuse's phenomenal pop trio Screen Test will serve up another unforgettable evening of transcendent rockin' pop from 8 to 11:30 pm at Vendetti's Soft Rock And Goodtime Grill, 2026 Teall Avenue in Syracuse. Gary Frenay! Arty Lenin! Tommy Allen!  POP MUSIC!!



The Everlasting First, my (gulp!) 26-part A-Z series of looks back at my introductions to various rock 'n' roll groups and comic-book characters, should resume tomorrow with the letter C: Charlton Comics and Cheap Trick, plus Quick Takes on Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), The Challengers of the UnknownThe Dave Clark Five, The Clash, The Creation, and The Creeper. The series will continue with irregular frequency (as irregular as the guy who writes it).


I recently posted my failed Marvel Comics try-out, and I may do a post about my vast volume of failed submissions to DC Comics as well. At no point will I try to convince you that any of this stuff was any damned good at all, but I hope to entertain you with the tale nonetheless.



I still plan to write more about The Monkees, one of my favorite groups, and far and away the most-viewed subject in Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do)'s long and storied history. The Monkees will not be part of The Everlasting First--I have another group selected for the M entry, and I've already written plenty about my first impressions of Micky, Davy, Peter, and Mike--but I'm planning a four-part series re-assessing The Monkees' recorded legacy. This re-assessment is specifically in the wake of the group's splendid 2016 album Good Times!, with the goal of determining how much of Good Times! belongs in the discussion of the best of The Monkees.

(After that, I still have one more big Monkees post I want to do, a rhetorical piece intended as my closing arguments on The Monkees. Though I'm sure I'll continue to write about The Monkees after that, I want to set myself the challenge of concocting one definitive Monkees post. More on this as I decide to go through with it. And, on Sunday, September 11th--the eve of The Monkees' 50th anniversary--This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio will devote its entire three-hour tour to 50 YEARS OF THE MONKEES, an audio celebration embracing the music of The Monkees themselves, The Monkees as solo artists, Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart, Monkees covers, original versions of songs The Monkees covered, and anything else we think appropriate.  But mostly, THE MONKEES! Here we come....)

As always, I thank you for checking in on my hardly-humble little blog. I'm here every single day, and I appreciate the company. I also appreciate candy, but company's good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment