Saturday, March 4, 2017

Superpulp Paperbacks!




I have always loved to read. As a teenager in the '70s, my prevailing interest in superhero comic books led me into superhero and fantasy hero paperback books. Most of these were reprints of pulp magazine adventures from the '30s and '40s, starring such ten-cent stalwarts as Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Spider, The Lone Ranger, and The Avenger. I also read a few of the Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs, maybe a Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard or a James Bond by Ian Fleming,Ted White's original Captain America novel The Great Gold Steal, and paperback prose adaptations of comic-strip storylines featuring Flash Gordon and The Phantom. There were also the Weird Heroes books, a series of then-new pulp hero anthologies (and some solo titles, too). The Phantom and The Shadow were my favorite series, and The Great Gold Steal was my favorite individual book.



At the Super DC-Con in New York in 1976, I picked up copies of two original hero pulp paperbacks from the '60s, Batman Vs. 3 Villains Of Doom by Winston Lyon (aka William Woolfolk) and The Avengers Battle The Earth-Wrecker by Otto Binder. I thought the latter lacked the panache of Ted White's Captain America novel, but I kinda liked the Batman book's attempt to balance the camp of the TV show with the demands of an adventure novel. When the first Superman movie came out in 1978, egotistical novelist Mario Puzo had a contractual clause prohibiting a paperback adaptation of his Superman screenplay; instead, comics writer Elliot S! Maggin was brought in to write an original novel, Superman, Last Son Of Krypton, that was a far better book than anyone would have been likely to cobble together out of Puzo's ramblings.




The '70s were almost a Golden Age for paperback superhero novels. And I still wanted more! In the book All In Color For A Dime, I read about Captain Marvel Story Book, a 1940s comic book series starring Captain Marvel in prose novels (with illustrations), and I ached to see these reprinted as paperbacks, available for me to pluck from the spinner rack and purchase for my own reading wonder. I wanted there to be new Batman novels, and new Green Hornet novels. Hell, why not new Blue Beetle novels, too?




I still pick up the '70s vintage books on occasion, but I don't have the same teen interest in immersing myself in superhero pulp. I have an Operator 5 novel I picked up in Florida in 1974, and a G-8 And His Battle Aces book I bought in  Berkeley in 1999, but I've never read either of them. I'm still on the lookout for a reasonably-priced copy of William Rotsler's Blackhawk novel. I have a few Captain Future paperbacks, but have never found them interesting enough to finish reading. (On the other hand, I loved the too-few Dick Tracy books written by Max Allan Collins.) There's a plethora of pulp reprints available now; Vintage Library/Sanctum Books does an amazing job with its ongoing series of double-novel presentations of The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Whisperer, and even Batman's then-contemporary pulp counterpart The Black Bat. I can't keep up, but I still buy them every now and again, and I'm glad they exist.





But, except for a few collection purges inspired by the need for rent money years ago, I've kept most of the ones I already have. They have no expiration date. They don't spoil. If the mood ever strikes me again, pure pulp adventure remains within easy reach.



 
I still wish someone would reprint Captain Marvel Story Book, though. Downloading 'em just ain't the same, man. Just ain't the same.



You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 


No comments:

Post a Comment