Friday, October 20, 2017

Dig What's Coming!



Today's post will be just a quick preview of coming attractions on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do). I have two complete posts ready to go right now: one is another entry for an act that is newly-inducted into The Power Pop Hall Of Fame, and the other is a piece for Love Letters 2 Rock 'n' Roll, discussing 5 Great Movie Songs (From Films I Either Didn't Really Like Or Never Actually Saw). Both of those pieces were promised first to those two websites, and will appear here after they've arrived at their original destination.

I'll have another entry soon for Unfinished And Abandoned, my series looking back on projects I started briefly before deciding something else was shinier. Ooo--shiny! This one will be a sequel to a previous Unfinished And Abandoned piece on my never-to-be-completed book idea Rock 'n' Roll All Nite! The 500 Definitive Rock 'n' Soul Albums Of The 1970s, but this time moving on to albums from the 1980s. I never got farther than a list of LPs, but I'm writing a new introduction and will post that within the week.

I've enjoyed writing my new All-Time Top 25 annotated lists of my 25 fave rave tracks by specific artists. The series has previously covered The Beatles and The Monkees, and paid Boppin' supporters will see a Paul McCartney Top 25 soon (they've already seen the list of songs). The McCartney piece will post publicly in December. I'm kicking around a few more ideas for Top 25s, possibly including The Ramones, The Kinks, and The Bay City Rollers.

The Everlasting First, my A-Z series of reminiscences of first exposures to various musical acts and fictional characters, will resume shortly with P Is For GENE PITNEY and P Is For THE POWERPUFF GIRLS. Suzi Quatro waits just around the corner....

Comic Book Retroview is awaiting an impulsive decision on what to cover next. DC Special? 80-Page Giants? Expanded 25-cent comic books in the early '70s? The Adventures Of Jerry Lewis? Could be any or all. To Be Continued.

I've toyed with the idea of writing some album reviews, but honestly, they just aren't as much fun to write as other things.Unless specific inspiration strikes, my 2016 review of The Monkees' Good Times! will remain the only Boppin' review for the foreseeable future.

There are always a number of ideas percolating for my various music series: The Greatest Record Ever Made, Love At First Spin, The Best Of Everything, Second-Hand Sound, Groove Gratitude, and Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery. There are a couple of tentative Unfinished And Abandoned entries beyond the '80s piece mentioned above, and you can never rule out a return to my de facto autobiography Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio. For the latter, I still have the same two introductory paragraphs I wrote nearly a year ago, and a vague sense of dread as I prepare to discuss middle school and high school in the '70s. Brrrr.

Next month will surely see some hype regarding the 900th episode of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl; our 900th show is currently slated for December 3rd, and it oughtta be a real cool time.

Meanwhile? There's still one more issue of 1967's Fatman, The Human Flying Saucer, and more to come as it occurs to me. Join me! I'm here every day.

 You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.






No comments:

Post a Comment