Saturday, December 16, 2017

Syracuse Versus Georgetown



Today, the Syracuse University Men's Basketball team faces its (former) arch-rival Georgetown. I don't mean to attach too much significance to an early-season out-of-conference game, but if SU loses today, I don't think I will ever be happy again.

I might be exaggerating. But just to be safe: BEAT THE HOYAS!!

I miss the old Big East. Syracuse was right to jump to the ACC when it did--the days of the Big East as we knew it were numbered, and it was not a big number--but those rivalries with Georgetown and Connecticut have been tough to replace. Sure, the teams still meet and compete every year--and SU just recently beat those hated UConn Huskies--but it's not the same.

Nonetheless, I still root for SU every game, always convinced that this will be the year. Logic doesn't enter into it, nor should it. I'm a fan. I'm entitled to believe my team will win every game against every opponent. When they lose, I'm entitled to believe they will still win all remaining games. When the season ends too soon--and 2003 was the only year that it didn't end too soon--I'm entitled to believe that next year will be the year. I'm a fan, and it's my right.

On February 9th, 2011, when that old Big East conference was still intact, I sent an email to sports commentator Brent Axe for his radio and TV show On The Block. It was the afternoon before another presumably epic smackdown between the Syracuse Orange and the Georgetown Hoyas. This video captures Brent Axe reading my email on the air.



Duck season? Rabbit season? Don't be silly--it's HOYA season! The old days may be gone, but watching SU whip Georgetown would still be a guaranteed good time.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 


Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment