Friday, March 15, 2019

SNARKY A & R



Last week, journalist and power pop expert Jordan Oakes posted this challenge on Facebook: "What's a song that a given band should cover -- based on having common thematic elements with the band's name? Example: Earthquake should cover 'All Shook Up.'" I was delighted with the question, and I came up with a number of responses. Let's play SNARKY A & R!

GIRLS SAY YES: Tell Her No
AC/DC: Make A Circuit With Me
THE FLASHCUBES: Photograph
THE GO-GO'S: Stay
HERMAN'S HERMITS: Solitary Man
DAWN: Morning Has Broken 
SIMPLE MINDS: Dazed And Confused
THE 13th FLOOR ELEVATORS: Shaft
THE CASTAWAYS: Six Months In A Leaky Boat
THE WEEKEND: Friday On My Mind
THE KINKS: Love Is Strange
THE COASTERS: Take It Easy
THE MIRACLES: I'm A Believer
TALK TALK: Rumors, Gossip, Words Untrue
THE INMATES: We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
999: Help!
SWEET: Sugar Sugar
THE ANIMALS: At The Zoo
BIG STAR: Little Star
CREAM: No Milk Today
THE WARLOCKS: I Put A Spell On You
THE RUNAWAYS: She's Leaving Home
THE ELECTRIC PRUNES: Run Run Run
VANITY: I'll Be Your Mirror
THE ADVERTS: Get A Job
THE BUDDY SYSTEM: You've Got A Friend
THE STROKES: Do The Swim
PILOT: Leaving On A Jet Plane
THE GRASS ROOTS: D.I.Y.
THE SPINNERS: Round And Round
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH: I Say A Little Prayer
BREAD: Money
MEN AT WORK: Earn Enough For Us
X-RAY SPEX: I'm Looking Through You
20/20: I Can See Clearly Now
STATUS QUO: It's Not Unusual
THE STRANGLERS: Take My Breath Away
THE DAMNED: Highway To Hell
THE KNACK: Nobody Does It Better
THE PRETENDERS: Imagine
JOURNEY: Heading Out To The Highway
THE LOVELESS: Alone Again Naturaly
THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION: The Bare Necessities
THE WINDBREAKERS: It's A Gas

And my favorite:

SANTANA: History Never Repeats

Thenkyew. We're here all week.




TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-Op, Ray Paul, Circe Link & Christian Nesmith, Vegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie Flowers, The Slapbacks, P. Hux, Irene Peña, Michael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave Merritt, The Rubinoos, Stepford Knives, The Grip Weeds, Popdudes, Ronnie Dark, The Flashcubes, Chris von Sneidern, The Bottle Kids, 1.4.5., The Smithereens, Paul Collins' Beat, The Hit Squad, The Rulers, The Legal Matters, Maura & the Bright Lights, Lisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment