Saturday, March 16, 2019

VIRTUAL TICKET STUB GALLERY: My Favorite Concerts

Carrier Dome, Syracuse September 23, 2017. Waiting for Paul McCartney to perform
What was your favorite concert?

It's a frequent question asked among pop fans. Since I've already written about my top concert memories, I figured I should collect the links here for handy reference.

PAUL McCARTNEY



The Beatles have always been my favorite recording act, and that will never change. Finally seeing McCartney in 2017 was the fulfillment of more than five decades' worth of pop dreams come true. Magic.

THE MONKEES



It was not fashionable to be a Monkees fan in the '70s and early '80s, but I learned early on that I should never back down in my affection for something just because my peers don't get it. I knew me a lot better than they knew me. And I knew I liked The Monkees. Between my work for Goldmine and my 21st century blogging, I think I've written more about Micky, Davy, Peter, and Michael than I have about any other act (with The Flashcubes the only possible exception). Seeing The Peter Tork Project in 1983, and then Dolenz, Jones, & Tork in 1986 and 1987 were dreams come true; but seeing Dolenz, Tork, & Nesmith in 2012 was transcendent.

THE KINKS



I had only been a Kinks fan for maybe a year and a half when I had the opportunity to attend my first Kinks show in 1978. It was everything I could have hoped it would be, enhanced in memory by its emotional tether to who I was and what I was feeling when I was eighteen.

THE RAMONES, THE RUNAWAYS, AND THE FLASHCUBES




I've said it many times, and will continue to say it: the best four bucks I ever spent.



Those were my top four. Just bubbling under would be a wonderful club performance by The Searchers. Also worthy of mention were the times I saw Prince & the Revolution, David Bowie, and The Beach Boys, though I haven't written about those yet (other than a general appreciation of Bowie that was my first blog post, and an emotional essay about seeing Brian Wilson's band perform Pet Sounds). My first concert was KISS, so that's a keeper even if it's not quite in the realm of those listed above, and my first Flashcubes show was an essential, unforgettable ticket to unending rock 'n' roll delight. Honorable mention to the first time I saw The Rolling Stones, dishonorable mention to the truncated performance by Elvis Costello & the Attractions, and hats off to the varied likes of Joe Jackson and David Johansen. I was lucky enough to see a lot of other great shows, from Artful Dodger to Earth, Wind & Fire, Cheap Trick to The Smithereens. But my top four? Yeah, I had a terrific top four.



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe FlashcubesChris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment