Wednesday, September 23, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: The Game Of The Name


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my account of the process of creating names for my fictional characters: "The Game Of The Name."

I haven't really written any fiction this year. I guess one could blame the pandemic for creating a reality that is much stranger than fiction, and that may be a factor. But I think it was also a byproduct of waiting to hear the fate of a short story I wrote last November. I started another story after that, got sidetracked, abandoned it, and haven't resumed that alchemic pursuit yet. It's not how a writer should do things--a writer writes, and doesn't ever stop writing--but I did stop, and I haven't quite re-started yet.

But I will. I enjoy writing, fiction and nonfiction. I'm still working on my book, The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). I'm pulling at the threads of some other notions. And that above-mentioned short story from last November was just purchased by the good folks at AHOY Comics. With that sale, I sold half of the short stories I completed in 2019, five out of ten. That is five more short stories than I sold in the previous 45 years of attempts.

And I'm still right here, every day. You know the name: Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do). And the story of the names I fabricate is the subject of the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment