Saturday, September 19, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: The Ramones, "Babysitter"



Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archive. The latest shared post is another edition of The Other Side Of The Hit (B-Side Appreciation), celebrating "Babysitter" by The Ramones.

The American Beatles. The greatest American rock 'n' roll band of all time. Yeah, I like The Ramones. The Ramones earn three chapters in my forthcoming book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), with individual entries discussing "Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?," "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker," and "Blitzkrieg Bop;" I wrote a fourth GREM! chapter about The Ramones' cover of "I Don't Want To Grow Up," but decided not to include that in the book. Doesn't mean I love it any less.

I have written so much about The Ramones over the years. I interviewed Joey, Johnny, C.J., and Marky for Goldmine in 1994, and I would still like to collect those interviews in book form; I posted an introduction for that hypothetical book here. I wrote reviews of Rhino's Ramones reissues, also for Goldmine, and a piece about their Subterranean Jungle album for the book Lost In The Grooves. I wrote an obituary of Joey Ramone for Yeah Yeah Yeah magazine, and a review of the Archie Meets Ramones comic book for this very Boppin' blog. I even tried to write my own original Ramones song, "Rocket To Russia," blithely ignoring the fact that I am not a songwriter.

But the two key Ramones pieces I wrote for this blog remain my Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery concert memory of seeing The Ramones, The Runaways, and The Flashcubes live in 1978, and my Love At First Spin tribute to the Rocket To Russia album. Yeah, I like The Ramones.


And I like a specific Ramones B-side right up there with my other Ramones favorites. A B-side appreciation of "Babysitter" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).




No comments:

Post a Comment