Saturday, September 12, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: The Beatles Live 1976



Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my fantasy about a 1976 Beatles reunion concert.

The Flashcubes
This Beatles piece is set in the same continuity as A Brighter Light In Mind, which was my daydream of how things could have gone if my favorite power pop The Flashcubes had achieved massive success in the late '70s and early '80s. There is a specific point of overlap between those two stories. I can say no more.

The Beatles are my favorite group. I've written about them far too many times to attempt links to all of that stuff here. As a tangent to my tale of an imaginary Beatles show, it's worth noting my real-life experiences of seeing Paul McCartney in concert (told with an introduction and an emotional piece about the concert itself) and attending a Ringo Starr press conference. My John Lennon reminiscence mixes reality with my teen wish to play in a band with Lennon. Delving back into fantasy, there is also the piece I wrote about an alternate McCartney concert setlist and the Beatles and Green Hornet radio commercials I wrote for a taco place when I was a senior in college radio in 1980.




But for today, we celebrate a reunion that never was. The Beatles Live 1976 is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 


This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment