Wednesday, September 1, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: Buying Comic Books Since 1966

DISCLAIMER: I did not buy either of these comic books in 1966.

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a look back at my ongoing love of funnybooks: "Buying Comic Books Since 1966."



My history of buying comic books is also a large part of Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio, my personal reminiscence of reading comics and listening to pop music while pretending to grow up in the 1960s. That idea intersects with a number of individual pieces I've written about Batman, Batman again, Aquaman, Marvel Comics, Charlton Comics, Marvel Super-Heroes, Superboy # 129, the Legion of Super-HeroesQuicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, Not Brand Echh, Inferior Five, Plastic Man, the original Captain Marvel, E-Man, Kid Eternity, Stan Lee, E. Nelson Bridwell, Dennis O'Neil, Martin PaskoGold Key Comics' The Occult Files Of Dr. Spektor, Joe Orlando's Adventure Comics, Jimmy Olsen, the Avengers, the Red TornadoTarzan, the Shadow, Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, and the Green Hornet. All these, plus miscellaneous li'l bits o' comic-book quick takes A-Z (except that I've only gotten around to completing those through the letter T, and A-C and E-I mix superheroes and rock 'n' roll groups at will): A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, and T.

And I want to make special mention of my lengthy history of DC's 100-Page Super Spectaculars. Those books were among my favorites as an adolescent and young teen in the early '70s, and I'll eagerly commit the sin of pride in saying I paid proper tribute to 'em in my history of the Super Specs.

For me, although I'd read my siblings' comic books before the Batman TV show made my interest in superheroes an insatiable obsession, it all started in 1966, and it continues today. "Buying Comic Books Since 1966" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment