Saturday, September 4, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: BRIGHT LIGHTS IN JAPAN! The Choosers Cover The Flashcubes

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post spotlights a cool Japanese band called the Choosers as they cover Syracuse's own power pop powerhouse the Flashcubes: Bright Lights In Japan.

The Flashcubes will always, always be one of my all-time favorite groups, up there in my rockin' pop pantheon with the Beatles and the Ramones. I wrote the liner notes to two Flashcubes anthology CDs, Bright Lights and A Cellarful Of Boys, and I've written the liners to their forthcoming live album Flashcubes On Fire (with that piece exclusively a private post for patrons for the time being). I inducted the Flashcubes into the SAMMYS (Syracuse Area Music Awards) Hall of Fame (which also served as their subsequent induction into the Power Pop Hall of Fame). A Brighter Light In My Mind was my story imagining a world where the Flashcubes achieved the popular success they deserved.

My first Flashcubes show. Seeing the 'Cubes with the Ramones and the Runaways. My proposal for a never-gonna-happen new album by Micky Dolenz with the Flashcubes. My first Flashcubes writing. My 1997 interview with bassist Gary Frenay and guitarist Paul Armstrong. Proclaiming the Flashcubes' "No Promise" as The Greatest Record Ever Made!, and talking about the song when the 'Cubes let us use it on This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4. More in-concert memories, of the Flashcubes covering Herman's Hermits and opening for David Johansen. Believe me, this just scratches the surface of my collected writings on behalf of my Fave Rave power pop combo the Flashcubes.

And I'm sure I'll keep right on writing about the Flashcubes. MORE FLASHCUBES!! My celebration of the Choosers singing the Flashcubes' "Christi Girl" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment