Saturday, October 2, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: FAKE BANDS (created by me)

 

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a review of imaginary musicians I've concocted for various attempts at fiction: "FAKE BANDS! Professional [and also amateur] Liar Creates Rock 'n' Roll Groups."

Music also plays a part in my most recent short story, "Pop Friction." "Pop Friction" is about a woman named Spillane, who grows tired of her gritty life in film noir and longs to be in a musical instead; her thug boyfriend Stooge objects, and hijinks ensue. I wrote the story very quickly in mid-August and submitted it to the good folks at AHOY Comics for their consideration. I'm happy with the piece, and I hope it will find a home at AHOY.

Assembling the fake bands piece sent me scurrying back to my 1980s sketchbook (and additional doodles in my old notebooks) for illustrations. I knew from the time I was 13 or so that I wanted to be a writer, but I also used to want to be an artist, too. My writing skills developed to a greater degree than my drawing skills ever did. I've told a little bit of my history as a frustrated artist in "The Jack Mystery Story," and I've done two posts so far in my series He THOUGHT He Was An Artist! (Tales From Back At The Drawing Board): Agent 690, Man Of Action and Hero. I would like to return to that series some time, and dive more deeply into my old artwork. 

But in the mean time, we draw a straight line back to my writing, and some of the fictional musicmakers that gigged only in my imagination. "FAKE BANDS!" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment