Wednesday, October 27, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: THE EVERLASTING FIRST! Kid Eternity

 

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is all about my 1970s discovery of a 1940s comic book character called Kid Eternity.

As the piece says, I first encountered Kid Eternity in the pages of an issue of DC Comics' 100-Page Super Spectaculars circa 1971; you can read my separate reminiscence of those beloved Super Specs here. My interest in Kid Eternity was part and parcel of my '70s embrace of superheroes and other fictional adventurers from preceding decades, an interest I've also detailed in essays about the original Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Green Hornet, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, the Red Tornado, Flash Gordon, Tarzan, movie serials, superpulp paperbacks, The PulpsDaredevil Battles Hitler (plus also Doll Man and some '60s material), the Spectre (as part of an appreciation of Adventure Comics in the '70s), and my fanciful notion of a Justice Society of America movie. That prevailing passion led me to concoct my series of 100-Page FAKES!, each of which can be accessed from here

But today, we look back on how a 100-Page Super Spectacular starring Superman, the Atom, Air Wave, Hawkman, and Super-Chief also introduced me to an old character who would become one of my favorites. The Everlasting First: Kid Eternity is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment