Wednesday, August 10, 2022

POP-A-LOOZA: THE EVERLASTING FIRST! Eclipso, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Ellery Queen, and the Everly Brothers

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is another installment of The Everlasting First, this time offering Quick Takes of my introductions to Eclipso, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Ellery Queen, and the Everly Brothers.

A DC Comics super-villain, a '70s British pub rock group swept in with the initial onslaught of punk, a fictional detective, and a pair of Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame siblings. In 2016, the early editions of The Everlasting First blithely mixed comics characters and pulp fiction properties with rockin' pop performers. Eventually, I realized that the audiences for funnybook heroes and rock 'n' rollers sometimes diverged, so I separated the subject matter from that point forward.

I, of course, continue to dig both comics and pop music equally.


I've never circled back to write anything more about Ellery Queen, and my own collection of Ellery Queen paperbacks was surrendered in my 2020 quarantine clean. Eclipso was referenced in this piece about rockin' pop artist Mr. Encrypto; man, I really can't keep my subjects separate, can I? Eddie and the Hot Rods have turned up in my 10 Songs series (here and here), and their signature tune "Do Anything You Wanna Do" will be discussed in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). The Everly Brothers' "Gone, Gone, Gone" is also in most blueprints for my GREM! book, that chapter based in part on a few paragraphs contained in this mixed comics and music piece.

The Everlasting First will return with...I dunno yet. A comic book character whose name starts with the letter U, or a musical artist whose name starts with the letter U. You never know with me. I never know with me. For now, my introductions to a bunch of guys called E serve as the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment