Saturday, April 15, 2023

The Comic Books I Buy

As a sort-of follow-up to my recent piece about buying comics books, I figured I'd share the list of comics currently on my pull list at the mighty Comix Zone in North Syracuse. The list includes both ongoing series and limited series that have not yet concluded:

Adventures Of Superman Jon Kent [DC]
Amazing Spider-Man [Marvel]
Avengers: War Across Time [Marvel]
Batman [DC]
Batman The Adventures Continue Season Three [DC]
Batman/Superman: World's Finest [DC]
Black Adam [DC]
Billionaire Island: Cult Of Dogs [AHOY]
Catwoman [DC]
Clobberin' Time [Marvel]
Danger Street [DC]
Fables [DC]
Fantastic Four [Marvel]
The Flash [DC]
The Gimmick [AHOY]
Justice Society Of America [DC]
Shazam! [DC, beginning in May]
The Second Coming: Trinity [AHOY]
Stargirl: The Lost Children [DC]
Superman [DC]
Superman: Lost [DC]
Unstoppable Doom Patrol [DC]

A shorter list than I would have expected, but it doesn't include recently-finished mini-series like DC's Gotham City Year One and Human Target (both excellent), Marvel's The Variants (which I have acquired but not yet read), Image's Public Domain, nor a bunch of AHOY Comics titles that have completed their deliberately finite runs. It also skips a few DC titles I had been buying but have decided to drop, including Action Comics, Detective Comics, and the Lazarus Planet tie-ins.


AHOY Comics only publishes mini-series, and I buy every single issue; as the latest Billionaire Island mini concludes, The Gimmick continues, the new Second Coming commenced last week, and Black's Myth: The Key To His Heart awaits in June. DC has always tended to dominate my comics-buyin', and that hasn't changed. But I try to keep an eye out for titles that may interest me, regardless of publisher. The title of Marvel's Clobberin' Time caught my attention, and I enjoyed its first issue's Thing-Hulk slugfest. 


I think my favorite current ongoing series is Batman/Superman: World's Finest, which reads like writer Mark Waid's joy-filled love letter to DC Comics' Silver and Bronze Ages. Me for that! I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Waid does with the original Captain Marvel in the forthcoming Shazam! series.


I remain an unapologetic comics fan, and an unapologetic fan of superheroes. Sense of wonder? Yes, but also a sense of fun, and the cathartic thrill of good triumphing over evil. Truth. Justice. The comic book way. Look! Up in the sky...!

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider supporting this blog by becoming a patron on Patreonor by visiting CC's Tip Jar. Additional products and projects are listed here.

Carl's new book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is now available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!!

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment