Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: THE GREATEST RECORD MADE! Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery


It's abundantly evident that I like digging into the archives of my concept The Greatest Record Ever Made!, and that I also dig immersing myself within live concert memories in my Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery. I dig 'em separately, and I dig 'em together. Here's another imaginary playlist combining the two.

Today's feat of fantasy song-stringin' gathers acts I've seen perform in person, and represents those individual turn-it-UP! moments with tracks celebrated in my ongoing GREM! series. The selections include some songs given individual chapters in my long-threatened book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1), some others that have fully-written entries not part of the book's current blueprint, and a few songs I haven't yet subjected to GREM! spotlight, but probably will some day.

An infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Let's listen to a few of those turns right now.

Fake TIRnRR Playlist: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery

KEY:

* indicates tracks I heard performed live by the original lead singer under the original group billing (regardless of how intact or, y'know, not intact the group was by then)
+ indicates tracks I heard performed by the lead singer as a solo artist outside of the original group billing [singer's name noted in brackets]
# indicates acts I saw perform without the track's original lead singer (regardless of whether or not the act performed the designated song in concert)
? is for the times I witnessed a performance by the track's original lead singer, but they didn't perform the song in concert

*THE FOUR TOPS: Reach Out I'll Be There
*JOAN JETT: Bad Reputation
*THE KINKS: Waterloo Sunset
*THE BEACH BOYS: God Only Knows
*THE SHIRELLES: Will You Love Me Tomorrow
*KISS: Shout It Out Loud
--
*THE RAMONES: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
+THE BEATLES: Yesterday [Paul McCartney]
+GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS: Midnight Train To Georgia [Gladys Knight]
?IKE AND TINA TUNER: River Deep Mountain High [Tina Turner]
+THE NEW YORK DOLLS: Personality Crisis [David Johansen]
#THE CLASH: Train In Vain
--
?PRINCE: When You Were Mine
?THE PRETENDERS: Back On The Chain Gang
*THE ANIMALS: House Of The Rising Sun
*BILLY JOEL: An Innocent Man
*BOB DYLAN: Like A Rolling Stone
#BADFINGER: Baby Blue
--
#THE RUNAWAYS: Cherry Bomb
*THE FLASHCUBES: No Promise
*DAVID BOWIE: Life On Mars?
*CHEAP TRICK: Surrender
#THE SHANGRI-LAS: Leader Of The Pack
*PETER, PAUL AND MARY: Leaving On A Jet Plane
--
*GENE PITNEY: Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa
?RAY CHARLES: Hit The Road Jack
*THE BANGLES: Live
*THE EVERLY BROTHERS: Gone, Gone, Gone
*THE SEARCHERS: Hearts In Her Eyes
?BIG STAR: September Gurls [Alex Chilton]
--
?ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding
?THE COWSILLS: She Said To Me
*THE SMITHEREENS: Behind The Wall Of Sleep
*CHUBBY CHECKER: Let's Twist Again
?THE ROLLING STONES: Get Off Of My Cloud
#PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS: Just Like Me [also saw Mark Lindsay solo]
--
*THE MONKEES: Porpoise Song (Theme From Head)
?BLONDIE: (I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear [Debbie Harry]
*THE dB'S: Love Is For Lovers
*THE BEVIS FRIOND: He'd Be A Diamond
?PAUL COLLINS: Walking Out On Love
#EARTH, WIND AND FIRE: Boogie Wonderland
--
*THE ROMANTICS: What I Like About You
+THE KINGSMEN: Louie Louie [Jack Ely]
*THE YOUNG RASCALS: Good Lovin'
*THE RECORDS: Starry Eyes
*BARON DAEMON AND THE VAMPIRES: The Transylvania Twist
*TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS: American Girl
*MARY LOU LORD: Aim Low
--
*THE RAMONES: Blitzkrieg Bop
*THE MONKEES: You Just May Be The One
*THE KINKS: You Really Got Me
*THE ROLLING STONES: Happy
#EARTH, WIND AND FIRE: September
*THE MONKEES: Pleasant Valley Sunday
*THE RAMONES: I Wanna Be Sedated
?THE RAMONES: I Don't Want To Grow Up
--
THE VENTURES: Walk--Don't Run

No comments:

Post a Comment