Wednesday, May 1, 2024

THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE: My Friend Jack

An infinite number of tracks can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Today, this is THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE!


BONEY M: My Friend Jack
Writtten by The Smoke
Produced by Frank Farian
Single, Atlantic [UK], 1980

My relationship with disco is complicated. I hated it during its heyday, but began to re-think my position as it became clear that some (not all) of the Disco Sucks movement was built upon a foundation of tacit racism and homophobia. I further realized that a lot of the disco LP-burnin' Fascists hated my preferred punk and power pop almost as much as they hated dat ole debbil disco, so...enemy of my enemy is my friend.

But never mind the shifting parameters of my mixed-signal interactions with disco. Eurodisco group Boney M was a breed apart anyway, willfully weird but extremely pop.

My first awareness of this German group was in print only; I don't recall hearing their only US hit (a cover of the Melodians' reggae classic "Rivers Of Babylon") in 1978, but I did see them mentioned in the music press here and there. The mentions weren't necessarily positive; I think a review in The Syracuse New Times awarded their album Night Flight To Venus a mere one star. The Rezillos also received the same single-sun rating in those same local tabloid pages; I loved The Syracuse New Times (and much, much later did some SNT  freelancing myself), but I say both Night Flight To Venus and Can't Stand The Rezillos deserved a few more stars than what SNT said.

No idea when I finally did hear Boney M's music. In the '80s? Probably not. More likely it was in the '90s or even in the Naughty Aughties, but I was instantly taken with their Eurodisco cover of UK psychedelic pop group the Smoke's '60s nugget "My Friend Jack."

Although I was already familiar with the original version, I didn't have any specific affinity for it. I later came to appreciate the Smoke's version, but bear that context in mind when I say I still prefer Boney M's unlikely cover. Boney M's take is amazing, adding slick grandeur to the Smoke's electric sugar lumps, bringing it to the club crowd with extra swagger while retaining its freak-flag legacy.

Ultimately, Boney M's sound is closer to ABBA than it is to, say, the Trammps, though it's not all that far removed from Ammi Stewart's pumpin' rock-disco remake of Eddie Floyd's "Knock On Wood." But "Dancing Queen," "Disco Inferno," and "My Friend Jack" all fit within disco's parameters, suggesting a dancefloor much wider and more accepting than we may have deemed likely in the fever of a Saturday night. 

I have a single-disc Boney M best-of CD that satisfies my occasional Boney M jones. It includes "My Friend Jack" and "Rivers Of Babylon," of course, plus Boney M's covers of the Creation's "Painter Man" and Harry Belafonte's "Mary's Boy Child," the latter served up as a medley with original song "Oh My Lord." That's...man, that's some eclectic fodder for disco, even Eurodisco. 

My friend Jack eats sugar lumps. The kids all call him "Sugar Man." The disco lights seem to bump 'n' hustle of their own volition tonight. Brilliant lights. Shiny. Enveloping. Minds expand. Feet move to the beat. Have ya met my friend Jack? Dance, Sugar. Dance.

If you like what you see here on Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do), please consider a visit to CC's Tip Jar

Carl's book Gabba Gabba Hey! A Conversation With The Ramones is available, courtesy of the good folks at Rare Bird Books. Gabba Gabba YAY!! https://rarebirdlit.com/gabba-gabba-hey-a-conversation-with-the-ramones-by-carl-cafarelli/

If it's true that one book leads to another, my next book will be The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). Stay tuned. Your turn is coming.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, streaming at SPARK stream and on the Radio Garden app as WESTCOTT RADIO. Recent shows are archived at Westcott Radio. You can read about our history here.

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment