Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Fake THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Playlist: Before The Crucible--Acts I First Heard 1970-1975

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl is simply too large a concept to be neatly contained within a mere three-hour weekly time slot. Hence these occasional fake TIRnRR playlists, detailing shows we're never really going to do...but could.

Last week, a phony TIRnRR playlist gathered a bunch of tracks that served as my introductions to various musical acts during what I call my crucible years: 1976 to 1978, when I was sixteen to eighteen years old.

Crucibles aren't built overnight. Today we cast our dim widdle spotlight on the years preceding my crucible, when my ear was practically super-glued to AM radio in 1970 through 1975.

It was also a period when I began to shuffle with greater deliberate purpose through older music. I discovered Buddy Holly and the Coasters via hand-me-down 45s in the family library. I discovered Chuck Berry because an AM Top 40 station in Syracuse began playing "Johnny B. Goode" in regular rotation. Great records don't care what year it is. 

In constructing this playlist, I tried to avoid one-hit wonders, unless the single-shot superstar in question released other material that I also like to some degree. 

The list also includes a few acts (the Four Tops, the Kinks, the Isley Brothers, the Miracles, the Hollies) whom I almost certainly heard as a younger kid in the 1960s. In each of these cases, my first conscious recognition of the act occurred in the '70s instead.

I may circle back to do a similar playlist of acts I remember from younger childhood in the '60s. For now: Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. Next stop: The first half of the 1970s.

Far out, man.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl--y'know, the real one--airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read all about this show's long and weird history here: Boppin' The Whole Friggin' Planet (The History Of THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO). TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS are always welcome.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:

Volume 1: download
Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

PS: SEND MONEY!!!! We need tech upgrades like Elvis needs boats. Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at 
http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

Fake TIRnRR Playlist: Before The Crucible--Acts I First Heard 1970-1975

BADFINGER: Baby Blue
SMOKEY ROBINSON AND THE MIRACLES: The Tears Of A Clown
SLADE: Gudbye T' Jane
RASPBERRIES: I Wanna Be With You
GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS: Midnight Train To Georgia
BUDDY HOLLY: Peggy Sue
--
CHUCK BERRY: Johnny B. Goode
THE BAY CITY ROLLERS: Saturday Night
ABBA: Waterloo
THE KINKS: Lola
THE ISLEY BROTHERS: Who's That Lady?
SWEET: Little Willy
--
DAWN: Knock Three Times
ROD STEWART: Maggie May
DAVID BROMBERG: The Hold Up
FANNY: I've Had It
WAR: The Cisco Kid
TAVARES: It Only Takes A Minute
--
JOHNNY NASH: I Can See Clearly Now
NAZARETH: Love Hurts
THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP: Frankenstein
THE EAGLES: Take It Easy
JONI MITCHELL: Help Me
DAVID BOWIE: Changes
--
THE FOUR TOPS: Are You Man Enough?
DONNA SUMMER: Love To Love You Baby
QUEEN: Killer Queen
BILLY JOEL: Piano Man
ALICE COOPER: School's Out
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN: If Not For You
--
CHI COLTRANE: Thunder And Lightning
THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND: Ramblin' Man
ROXY MUSIC: Love Is The Drug
ELTON JOHN: Crocodile Rock
BETTE MIDLER: Do You Wanna Dance
YES: Your Move
--
RUFUS: Tell Me Something Good
THE HOLLIES: Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
TODD RUNDGREN: We Gotta Get You A Woman
HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUE NOTES: If You Don't Know Me By Now
JANIS JOPLIN: Me And Bobby McGee
THE SPINNERS: I'll Be Around
--
LED ZEPPELIN: Black Dog
THE COASTERS: Charlie Brown
ROBERTA FLACK: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
LINDA RONSTADT: You're No Good
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY: I Think I Love You
THE O'JAYS: Back Stabbers
URIAH HEEP: Easy Livin'
THE DOOBIE BROTHERS: China Grove
--
THE STYLISTICS: You Are Everything
HARRY CHAPIN: W.O.L.D.
THE FIRST CLASS: Beach Baby
BLACK SABBATH: Iron Man
FREDA PAYNE: Band Of Gold
HONEY CONE: Want Ads
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD: Closer To Home
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: Born To Run
--
KISS: Rock And Roll All Nite

No comments:

Post a Comment