Saturday, April 7, 2018

THIS IS ROCK 'N' ROLL RADIO Presents: Radio On The Radio



I'm really looking forward to this week's This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, a special edition billed as A LOVE LETTER TO RADIO. It's a three-hour show devoted exclusively to records I remember hearing on the radio, records I heard on the radio before I heard them anywhere else. Given how important radio has been to me for the better part of my 58 years on your odd little planet, that gives me a vast and magical playground in which to cavort 'n' frolic.

I arbitrarily decided to exclude anything that was an oldie when I discovered it, to only play tracks that were relatively current songs when the radio introduced me to them. Sure, I regret not being able to play various irresistibles by The Easybeats, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Wilson Pickett, et al., but it was easy to live with (and within) that limitation. As my $2 a month paid patrons already know, I came up with a list of more than 200 qualifying songs to consider; from that expansive list of choices, I'll be able to play about 50 + tracks on Sunday.

Although neither Dana nor I generally plan much in advance for our regular weekly shows, A LOVE LETTER TO RADIO required specific tweaking. After working on it all of this week, I now have a tentative but complete playlist penciled in. No, I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to play. But I am going to tease you with this list, representing the year each playlist track was released and my best recollection of the radio station that introduced me to it:

A LOVE LETTER TO RADIO teaser playlist

1980 [CHUM-FM]
--
1964 [WNDR-AM]
2004 [WTKW-FM]
1970 [WOLF-AM]
1994 [WOFM-FM]
1984 [WBNY-FM]
1977 [WOUR-FM]
--
1977 [WBSU-AM]
1966 [WNDR-AM]
1970 [WNDR-AM]
1972 [WOLF-AM]
1984 [WBNY-FM]
1983 [WYSL-AM]
--
1977 [WOUR-FM]
1974 [WOLF-AM]
1977 [WOUR-FM]
1978 [WCMF-FM]
1981 [WGRQ-FM]
1978 [WBSU-AM]
--
1972 [WOLF-AM]
1973 [WOLF-AM]
1972 [WOLF-AM]
1976 [WOLF-AM]
1975 [WOLF-AM]
1970 [WOLF-AM]
--
1974? [WOLF-AM]
1979 [WCMF-FM]
1972 [WOLF-AM]
1979 [WAQX-FM]
1984 [WBNY-FM]
1969 [WNDR-AM]
--
1986 [unidentified Rochester or Finger Lakes area college station]
1973 [WOLF-AM]
1967 [WNDR-AM]
1972 [WOLF-AM]
1973 [WOLF-AM]
1984 [WBNY-FM]
--
1970 [WOLF-AM]
1973 [WOLF-AM]
1971 [WOLF-AM]
2009 [WTKW-FM]
1970 [WNDR-AM]
1982 [WUWU-FM]
--
1982 [WUWU-FM or WBNY-FM]
1980 [WGRQ-FM]
1976 [WOUR-FM]
1965 [WNDR-AM]
1979 [WAQX-FM]
1979 [WBSU-FM]
1976 [WOLF-AM]
1973 [WOLF-AM]

(I confess that some of those WNDRs may have been WOLFs, and vice versa. There might even have been a WFBL mixed in there somewhere.)

This reflects the last tweak as of Friday night. Might still tweak more before showtime, and may have to drop a track or two for time constraints during the show, but this is close to the final product.

As is, the playlist salutes AM and FM, Top 40, AOR, left-of-the-dial alternative, and free-form terrestrial radio. It includes hits and misses, rock, pop, power pop, soul, light bubblegum, light funk, British Invasion, Motown, glam, punk, new wave, hip hop, teen pop, one-hit wonders, Rock And Roll Hall Of Famers, and--intrepid TIRnRR listener Rich Firestone will be relieved to learn--The Kinks. One song per artist. There are no less than two tracks that have already been discussed in my blog series The Greatest Record Ever Made. It's A LOVE LETTER TO RADIO, and I hope you'll tune in Sunday night, April 8th, from 9 to Midnight. I've got the radio on.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl, Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse on The Spark WSPJ-LP 103.3 and 93.7, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/

Spark Syracuse is supported by listeners like you. Tax-deductible donations are welcome at http://sparksyracuse.org/support/

You can follow Carl's daily blog Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) at 
https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe FlashcubesChris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here.



No comments:

Post a Comment