Saturday, April 21, 2018

Nearing # 900: Coming Distractions On BOPPIN' (LIKE THE HIP FOLKS DO)



Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) # 900 will post this coming week. That's a good excuse for a review of what's in the works for whatever the hell it is I do here every day.



If I can finish it in time, my 900th blog post will be a Virtual Ticket Stub Gallery piece about the first time I saw The Kinks, May 1978, dovetailing with the end of my freshman year in college and all of the attendant emotion of that time in my life. I started work on that months ago, put it aside, but returned to it in earnest yesterday. Odds are decent I'll have it completed before Thursday calls for Boppin' # 900.



I've also begun work on a couple of different installments of The Greatest Record Ever Made, with either a post on Gladys Knight & the Pips or a post on The Jayhawks likely to be next. As always, an infinite number of great tracks can be THE Greatest Record Ever Made, as long as they take turns.



A couple of other ongoing series are on temporary hold, just waiting for me to get going: The Everlasting First (with The Powerpuff Girls, followed by Suzi Quatro and Quicksilver & The Scarlet Witch), He Buys Every Rock 'n' Roll Book On The Magazine Stands (which will resume with a heartfelt tribute to Creem magazine), and Love At First Spin (an extended reminiscence of The Ramones' Road To Ruin LP, perhaps followed by a spotlight on Setting Sons by The Jam).



In response to a request in Facebook's Little Steven's Underground Garage group, I am in the process of transcribing my 1993 Goldmine interview with Cyril Jordan of The Flamin' Groovies. That is pretty long, and it will run in two parts (introduction and interview). Retyping is drudgery, but I would like folks to be able to see this one again.


Hey, remember my Green Hornet '66 idea The Beat And The Sting? I've been working on fleshing that out, and May's private post to patrons will show what I've done so far to try to tell the story. It's a pipe dream, sure, but I'd like to see what I can do with this. If I can get it to a presentable form...well, we'll see. The work isn't likely to be shared publicly for the time being, so the only way to check my work in progress is by becoming a patron for $2 a month: Fund me, baby!




I have resumed work on the long-delayed next chapter in Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio, my de facto autobiography of reading comic books and listening to records while trying to grow up 'n' stuff. I've already covered the '60s, so the next chapter begins in September of 1970, as I enter sixth grade. Hijinks ensue. If I pull this off, these chapters will ultimately bridge the time frame from 1970 to 1982, the point where my '80s chronicle The Road To GOLDMINE picks up. 

Those are the headlines. Lots more coming up! Stay with me! I'm here every day.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment