Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Cancelled Digital Comic Cavalcade (An iCloud Adventure!)



SPOILER ALERT: 100-Page FAKES!, my series of mid 1970s DC Comics 100-Page Super Spectaculars that never were, will return soon. Remember last week, when I sorta cancelled that series because most of my digital comics library disappeared? Well....

I've been in the process of trying to recover my large archive of digital comics scans. Most of my comics files went ker-pffft! last week; only a handful survived in my Comic Book Lover app, and the only ones I was able to salvage beyond those were the relative few that I'd saved to read on the iPad, and an even smaller additional cache saved in a separate file. My stash was all but destroyed. I still had scattered issues of Batman, Detective ComicsThe Brave And The Bold, a complete run of DC's Captain Action, Daredevil Battles Hitler, Superboy # 129, Avengers King-Size Special # 2, Ant-Man's appearances in Marvel Feature, the issue of The Adventures Of Jerry Lewis where our Jer met Batman and Robin, Iron Man And Sub-Mariner # 1, and some 100-Page Super-Spectaculars. My run of editor Joe Orlando's Adventure Comics was gone, along with most/all of my Jonny Quest, Astonishing Tales, Charlton Bullseye, The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis, The Shadow Strikes!, Aquaman, The Lone Ranger, The Inferior 5, Showcase, Marvel Super Heroes, All-American Western, Hot Wheels, and--fittingly--Cancelled Comic Cavalcade.






My dearly departed files included a number of public domain comics, so those would be easy to replace via Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus. Comic Book Plus even had the '60s Action Heroes books from Charlton Comics, so those were the first books I replaced. But I figured the DC and Marvel stuff, and most of the Charlton stuff, was just gone. I was resigned to that fact.

Mind you, I did think I had been keeping backups. But most of the backups had vanished. I mentioned to my daughter that I was going to blog a brief eulogy for my gone-but-not-forgotten digital comics files, and she commiserated with the tale of how she'd recently lost almost all of her writing projects--several years' worth--from her laptop, but had been able to recover the lot from the iCloud. That was a relief, of course, and way more important than my Bob Hope and Not Brand Echh scans. I told her I hadn't been so lucky with the funnybooks; I'd seen no sign of 'em when I checked my iCloud...

...wait.

Had I checked my iCloud?




I thought I had, but I hadn't been as thorough as I shoulda. A more comprehensive search yielded the bulk of my backups, a treasure trove of digital comics, most (if not quite all) of the scans I thought I'd lost. I'm recovering them now, and will have my digital comics library rebuilt over the next week or so.

Before being saved by the magic of the iCloud, I had already decided to continue my 100-Page FAKES! series a little longer, utilizing what scans I still had for as long as it seemed viable. But it feels much better to know that I can keep the series going full-tilt, now that I've recovered my humble little library. Thanks to my daughter, and thanks to the iCloud.  Up, up, and AWAY!



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 








No comments:

Post a Comment