Saturday, September 29, 2018

Faces On The Wall



My first rock 'n' roll posters were hand-me-downs, but they were choice hand-me-downs. When my sister went off to college in 1970, I assumed possession of her Beatles posters. These painted portraits of your John, your Paul, your George, and your Ringo remained on my wall while I was in middle school and high school, and left North Syracuse with me when I commenced my own rock 'n' roll matriculatin' in the fall of '77. The posters served me well on one occasion in '76 or so, when WOLF-AM's Beatles Weekend offered a free Beatles LP to the first caller who could correctly identify the color of George Harrison's eyes. A glance at the poster, a sprint to the phone in the kitchen, a hastily-dialed call to The Big 15 so I could blurt out BROWN!, and a copy of the Help! album was mine.



I also remember my sister having a Dylan poster--my first conscious exposure to Bashful Bobby Dylan's name--but I think she must have taken that one with her on her journey to higher education. 'Sfunny, because I remember much later mentioning Mr. Dylan to one of the guys in my dorm suite in the Spring of '78; my suitemate glanced up at my Beatles portraits, and asked me which one was Dylan.



Although I plastered my walls with graven images in high school and college, I had relatively few commercial posters. In college, my cherished Beatles posters shared wall space with LP inserts (from the White Album, from The Beach Boys' Endless Summer, from a collection of movie sound bites by The Marx Brothers, and from records by The Heartbreakers, The Runaways, etc.), promo materials, maybe some comics art, Flashcubes gig flyers, magazine pages (including a poster ripped from a Bay City Rollers fan mag), a Molson Golden Ale poster, and a few Playboy centerfolds. The promo items--posters and flats--mostly came from Brockport's Main Street Records, which offered such bonus bounty in its handy-dandy Free With Purchase! bin. Decorating was easy!



And I did pick up a few commercial posters along the way. I believe I got my KISS poster from my college friend Fred, who had outgrown KISS and wanted nothing further to do with the group. I bought a couple of posters upstairs at Syracuse's Economy Bookstore, one featuring my boys The Sex Pistols and one starring my presumed future spouse Suzi Quatro. There was an awesome Batman poster I wanted, but never quite got around to buying. I did get a Suzanne Somers poster at Gerber Music; that was sorta puzzling, because although she was certainly cute, I didn't have any particular thing for her, nor for her sitcom Three's Company. Why a Suzanne poster, instead of, say, a Farrah Fawcett? No idea.




After college, I don't recall ever putting up many posters in my apartments. I really wanted to get a poster of The Monkees circa the time of resurgent Monkeemania in '86, but never saw one I thought appropriate. Now, decades later, I have but a few posters on my wall. There's a Frank Miller The Dark Knight Returns poster framed in my office, staring down a great framed Ramones poster I received as a gift. But that's it, other than the framed two-page spread from my Goldmine interview with Joan Jett (autographed by Ms. Jett herself) and the framed artwork from Rhino Records' Poptopia! CDs, which Rhino gave me as a thank-you bonus for writing the liner notes to the '90s Poptopia! disc, plus a few small items (a picture of Syracuse University basketball great Gerry McNamara, an autographed picture of Red Grammer, my Ramones wall clock, and a wall hanging my sister gave me decades ago, which reads A Creative Mind Is Rarely Tidy). That's the sum total of wall decorations in my office at home.



I still have those same Beatles posters. They're a bit tattered now, certainly worn, rolled up in a drawer because there's no longer any point in even trying to flatten them or do a better job of preserving them. George Harrison's eyes are still brown. The Pistols, KISS, and Suzanne Somers sheets are long gone; even Suzi Q has moved on. The Beatles remain. John. Paul. George. Ringo. Dylan must have been on holiday that day.
I still regret never buying this one for my dorm room wall.
TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment