Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The Comic Books I Buy



Most of the comic book coverage here at Boppin' (Like The Hip Folk Do) concerns the older stuff, whether in my ongoing series of 100-Page FAKES! (concocting phony issues of DC 100-Page Super Spectacular), my history of the real 100-Page Super Spectaculars, my various Comic Book Retroview pieces about Plastic Man in the Silver Age, Marvel Super-Heroes, Batman # 180 , Superboy # 129, and Joe Orlando's Adventure Comics, the story of how I became a fan of the original Captain Marvel, and reminiscences about my A-Z introductions to Aquaman, Batman, Charlton Comics, Doc Savage, E-Man, Flash Gordon, The Green Hornet, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, Inferior 5, Jimmy Olsen, Kid Eternity, The Legion Of Super-Heroes, Marvel Comics, Not Brand Echh, The Occult Files Of Dr. SpektorThe Powerpuff Girls, and Quicksilver & The Scarlet Witch (with The Red Tornado on deck soon). Among others. A whole lot of others! I dig old comic books about as much as I dig rock 'n' roll and power pop, so it follows that I dig writing about The Funnybooks Of My Life in this space.



I also dig new comic books, and I buy 'em every week at Comix Zone in North Syracuse. Last week, I recommended a new comic book series called The Wrong Earth, and it's but one of the current comic book titles I buy regularly. Here's what I have on my pull list at Comix Zone:

Action Comics (DC)
Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel)
Aquaman (DC)
Archie (Archie)
Archie 1941 (Archie)
Archie Meets Batman '66 (Archie/DC)
Batman (DC)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse)
Captain America (Marvel)
Catwoman (DC)
The Charlton Arrow (Charlton Neo/AC)
Detective Comics (DC)
Dick Tracy Dead Or Alive (IDW)
Doctor Strange (Marvel)
Doomsday Clock (DC)
Fantastic Four (Marvel)
Hawkman (DC)
High Heaven (AHOY)
Justice League (DC)
Justice League Dark (DC)
Mister Miracle (DC)
Ms. Marvel (Marvel)
Plastic Man (DC)
Superman (DC)
The Terrifics (DC)
Tony Stark Iron Man (Marvel)
The Wrong Earth (AHOY)

Of the books listed above, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is nearing the end of its run with Dark Horse, presumably to resume with a different publisher. Both Plastic Man and Archie Meets Batman '66 are mini-series, ending soon. Dick Tracy Dead Or Alive and High Heaven are new titles debuting this month, so I haven't seen them yet, but I'm committed to checking out the first issues of each. The Charlton Arrow has been on hiatus, but I hope it comes back soon. Archie 1941 # 1 was published last week; I haven't read it yet, so it remains to be seen whether or not I continue with that title.

I review my pull list frequently, adding and deleting titles as I wish. I deleted Wonder Woman some time back, but I'm going to try it again when Ms. Marvel creator G. Willow Wilson takes over as WW's new writer. There's a new Shazam! series on its way, Grant Morrison is writing a new Green Lantern book, and a new DC mini-series event called Heroes In Crisis is starting shortly, and I'll be looking into all of those, too.



My favorite? Batman. Writer Tom King's current run has been fascinating, and I look forward to each new issue. I also really like what Brian Michael Bendis has been writing for the Man of Steel in Superman and Action Comics. I'm gonna miss Plastic Man; Gail Simone's writing has captured ol' Plas in a unique and engaging way. On the other hand, Detective Comics (also starring Batman) has been borderline for me of late, just interesting enough to keep on buying, but sometimes teetering on the brink of being deleted.

 I love comics. I love old comics, and I love new comics. I've been following them for more than fifty years; I see no reason to stop any time soon.

(For a look back at how I got started as a comics fan and a pop music fan, I refer you to Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio, my de facto autobiography of reading comics and listening to rock 'n' roll while attempting to grow up in the 1960s. Hey, kids--COMICS!)



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment