Saturday, December 22, 2018

Just Makin' Stuff Up

Eternity Man and his granddaughter Jenny Woo

I keep on thinking about trying again to write fiction. My only writing success (as meager as that success has been) has come in nonfiction, but I still want to create something that's imaginary, yet real. 

I've posted some tentative stabs at fiction on this blog. I wrote the first five chapters of a rock 'n' roll superhero time travel novel called Eternity Man, but bailed on it when it became clear that no one seemed interested. I wrote a purple-prose Batman and Aquaman pulp short story called "The Undersea World Of Mr. Freeze," which I really liked; I started a sequel to that--"Paradise Does Not Believe In Tears," co-starring Batman and Wonder Woman--but shelved it, too. I also started a rock 'n' roll mystery titled "The Beat And The Sting" starring The Green Hornet '66, getting as far as writing a teaser for the story and then writing the first few pages of its comic book script. My reminiscence of my childhood superhero creation Jack Mystery concluded with a summary of how I planned to revamp and fully realize the character when I was trying to break into comics in the '80s. Moving away from superheroes, I wrote a fantasy about a nonexistent 1958 rock 'n' roll film called Jukebox Express, concocting a vision of a B-movie flick I wish were real just so I could see the damned thing.

I may seem like a quitter, and for good reason: the stuff I write for this blog doesn't get all that much attention to begin with, my attempts at fiction send my click-rate into the subterranean, so my enthusiasm for the work falters. But I haven't quit, not entirely. I still intend to return to Eternity Man and "The Beat And The Sting," I'm still kicking around short story ideas, and I've been toying with another little notion that would make a nifty comic book mini-series, starring original characters and no superheroes. I want to write. I want to write fiction and nonfiction, prose and comics, humor and pulp, maybe a novel. Maintaining this Quixotic goal of a daily blog for nearly three years now has forced me to keep writing; now, I need to force myself to write more.



TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!
You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Our new compilation CD This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio, Volume 4 is now available from Kool Kat Musik! 29 tracks of irresistible rockin' pop, starring Pop Co-OpRay PaulCirce Link & Christian NesmithVegas With Randolph Featuring Lannie FlowersThe SlapbacksP. HuxIrene PeñaMichael Oliver & the Sacred Band Featuring Dave MerrittThe RubinoosStepford KnivesThe Grip WeedsPopdudesRonnie DarkThe Flashcubes,Chris von SneidernThe Bottle Kids1.4.5.The SmithereensPaul Collins' BeatThe Hit SquadThe RulersThe Legal MattersMaura & the Bright LightsLisa Mychols, and Mr. Encrypto & the Cyphers. You gotta have it, so order it here. A digital download version (minus The Smithereens' track) is also available from Futureman Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment