Saturday, October 3, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA: Comic Book Cover Cavalcade # 1


Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a reprise of the inaugural entry in my series Comic Book Cover Cavalcade # 1.

As I noted on Wednesday, both Comic Book Cover Cavalcade and LP Cover Cavalcade grew out of my earlier combined series Comics And LP Cover Cavalcade, a split prompted by my realization that the comic book and music commentaries served separate audiences. Since the switch, I've posted two LP Cover Cavalcades, one Comic Book Cover Cavalcade, and one Paperback Cover Cavalcade. I'm planning a second Comic Book Cover Cavalcade (possibly as soon as next week), spotlighting five of DC Comics' dollar tabloid editions from the '70s. Actually, I dig that Limited Collectors Edition/Famous 1st Edition subject a lot, so I may do more than one Cavalcade celebrating those.

I've been considering a few other potential Cavalcades. VH-S tapes? DVDs? CDs? Hardcover books? Magazines? Coverless comics? Maybe.  Each presents an opportunity for me to take images of five things that interest me and wax rhapsodic about them. The LP, comic book, and paperback Cavalcades will continue, of course. They're all ongoing reflections of the simple fact that I like stuff.

"I Like Stuff" will also be the title of a near-future post, which will mostly be a gallery of photographs of some of the big ol' stacks of comic books, magazines, LPs, CDs, 45s, cassettes, books, videos, posters, knickknacks, and other sundry manifestations of my packrat nature. Oh, and I should do a little song und dance about my collection of rock 'n' roll and pop culture buttons. I like stuff? Yeah, that's putting it mildly.

And comic books remain among the stuff I'm proud to like. An annotated gallery of five DC Comics from the 1970s is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).


No comments:

Post a Comment