Saturday, November 21, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA! All The World's A Stage

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a look back at my history as a fan of live theater, "All The World's A Stage."

After finally experiencing my first-ever play on Broadway in 2019, I hoped to make that an annual event. The pandemic deferred that plan, but Broadway will return, and I will return to it. I did manage to see one play this summer, as Syracuse Shakespeare-In-The-Park presented Much Ado About Nothing for a socially-distanced audience. At home, I saw Hamilton on Disney+, and felt that I had witnessed something extraordinary. Last week, I watched Fiddler: A Miracle Of Miracles, which is a moving and absolutely fascinating 2019 documentary about the history of Fiddler On The Roof; it's available on Amazon Prime, and I recommend it without reservation--there is no other hand! Tradition! The documentary made me appreciate the play even more than before.

I have written only a handful of posts about theater. There was my 2016 post about Hamilton (centered on the memory of my college friendship with actor Leslie Odom, Jr.'s parents).  Les Odom Senior also has a cameo role in "I've Got The Music In Me (And That's Where It's Gonna Stay)," my sad autobiographical tale of wanting to be a musician and just not having any aptitude for it at all. My theater-goin' resumé was published as "The Show Must Go On! (Oh, The Plays I've Seen)." And my early love of West Side Story shares billing with my childhood fondness of Eydie Gorme, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The T-Bones in "Five Songs I've Loved (Nearly) My Entire Life."

COVID-19 crippled live theater. Live theater will come back. The show can't go on right now, but it will go on eventually, and I can't wait to be there for it. Off Broadway. On Broadway. "All The World's A Stage" is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment