Saturday, November 28, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA! The Inferior Five

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my look back at a superhero comedy series published by DC Comics in the 1960s, The Inferior Five.

I take my superheroes seriously. But I've also long since grown tired of overly dark and gritty takes on heroes, and I've always had a soft spot for lighter fare and occasional comedy involving superdoers. The campy 1966 Batman TV series was the original catalyst for my interest in superheroes, and while I came to embrace a pulpier image of The Dark Knight, a simple recognition of my roots made it clear that I would always have two Batmen. When I started writing about comics as a freelancer in the '80s, articles I sold to Amazing Heroes included a Hero History of the Charlton Comics character E-Man and a history of intentionally funny superheroes; some day, I'll retype and reprise both of those pieces for this blog. My snarky but loving Amazing Heroes A-Z celebration of lesser-known DC characters has already appeared here: "Who's...WHO?!"

In the mean time, I have written here about my introduction to E-Man, DC's Silver Age revival of Plastic Man, becoming a fan of the original Captain Marvel, Marvel Comics' humor series Not Brand Echh, my stillborn attempt to write for Harvey Comics, and my thoughts on a hypothetical Batman Meets The Monkees crossover. Although not mentioned specifically in my '60s autobiography Singers, Superheroes, And Songs On The Radio: My Life In Pop Culture, and represented in that piece only by a reproduction of the cover of The Inferior Five # 1, The Inferior Five were an integral part of my childhood. 

And I may or may not still have a crush on Dumb Bunny. Either way, my reminiscence of The Inferior Five provides the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.


TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment