Wednesday, November 11, 2020

POP-A-LOOZA! The Everlasting First: THE SEX PISTOLS

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is my Everlasting First look back at how I became a fan of The Sex Pistols.

This tale of my introduction to punk rock in general and The Sex Pistols in particular has also been slightly re-written and expanded to serve as the "God Save The Queen" chapter in my book The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1). In fact, this extended excerpt of the book's opening chapters shows how the revamped Pistols piece will appear, and the context surrounding it. Further background material detailing my initial reaction to punk (and my subsequent embrace of it) can be seen in pieces about the rock magazines I was reading in the '70s, Circus and Rolling StonePhonograph Record Magazine, and Bomp! magazine (and I really need to get back and write the follow-up reminiscence about CREEM magazine), and in this lengthy recount of the music that fascinated me when I was in my late teens and early twenties, "Imagining/Remembering The Music That Played." The fascination itself manifested in my first rock journalism, an emeritus contribution to my high school literary magazine when I was a freshman in college at the end of the Fall 1977 semester.

"God Save The Queen" will also be the subject of next week's Greatest Record Ever Made! video rant. But first, you can read all about the history of no future, at least from my POV. My discovery of The Sex Pistols is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment