Wednesday, February 3, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: RESCUED FROM THE BUDGET BIN! The Very Best Of The Hollies

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a reprise of the inaugural edition of Rescued From The Budget Bin!, recalling my mid-'70s acquisition of a cheap compilation LP called The Very Best Of The Hollies.

The Hollies will also be the subject of this week's rant in my Greatest Record Ever Made! video blog series on YouTube. Each of my video rants spotlights a song discussed in my proposed book The Greatest Record Ever Made! The book itself remains mired in development hell, but I still (perhaps foolishly) believe it will see its way through eventually. If memory serves, no one outside of my agent has seen the book's Hollies chapter, which celebrates their song "I Can't Let Go," so the video will be your first-ever opportunity to experience that chapter. The video is planned to post on YouTube later today, and a link to it will appear as Thursday's blog post.

The Hollies' Rescued From The Budget Bin! piece was essentially (if not officially) part of my series The Everlasting First, wherein I recall my introductions to various rock groups, superheroes, and other glittery pop culture delights. It's been a loooooong time since I posted a fresh installment of The Everlasting First; the last full-length EF posted to date was about The Shadow all the way back on August 2nd, 2019. The most recent music EF was The Sex Pistols in November of 2018. That long drought finally ends this very Friday, with The Everlasting First: Tarzan. I hope to have an EF about The Turtles ready in the not-too-distant future.

To read more about my appreciation of The Hollies, I direct you to this repost of This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio's 2010 announcement of our year-long gimmick The Hundred Hollies Initiative. I invite you back tomorrow to see what I have to say in my video rant about "I Can't Let Go." But first, my look back at The Very Best Of The Hollies is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

Hey! If you buy from Amazon, consider making your purchases through links at Pop-A-Looza. A portion of your purchase there will go to support Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do). Thinking Amazon? Think Pop-A-Looza.

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment