Friday, March 26, 2021

Update And Pause: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (VOLUME 1)


An infinite number of songs can each be THE greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns.

It's been a little over two years since I announced my intention to turn my Greatest Record Ever Made! blog series into a book. The book project made a little bit of progress in 2019, as I secured the services of a literary agent and put together a formal proposal for the book. I was encouraged, and things seemed promising.

Alas, there has been no real progress on the book's prospects for publication since late in 2019.

I alluded to some of this in last week's post about where I think I am and what this place looks like today. I mentioned some specifics in this week's GREM! video. Because of legitimate real-world complications (including but not limited to, y'know, a global pandemic), my agent has not shown the proposal to any potential publishers. And I want to be clear when I say that I bear her no ill will for that; she has been in a difficult situation, and this could not be helped. 

Nonetheless, we have agreed to part company. She was an enormously positive factor in getting the project on track at its beginning, and in coaching and/or coercing me into crafting a decent book proposal. I really wish that we would have been able to continue working together, but it simply wasn't gonna happen. The parting is amicable, as I have expressed my gratitude and she has replied, "I also hope that I can read your finished work when it's available because Greatest Record Ever Made has a lot of style and heart; it was and is a worthwhile and moving piece of writing."

And now, I have to figure out a way to move forward with it.

At this time, I am not interested in self-publishing or ebooks; that may change, but I'm going to continuing pursuing my original goal for now. That will require professional representation, so I will be starting the process of finding another agent. I will continue to work on the book itself, perhaps tweaking the proposal and certainly tweaking the selection of songs. I believe very much in this book, and I remain confident that it will become a book. Eventually. Someday.

It just won't become a book as quickly as I had hoped.

In the mean time, the weekly GREM! videos will also continue. And I am currently pursuing an unrelated book project directly with a publisher; that project, win or lose, should not require an agent. 

GREM! does need an agent. So yeah, it's just like starting over. Take two. We'll get it done. Time is not infinite; but our music is. My turn's coming soon.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.


The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download

Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Follow me on Twitter @CafarelliCarl

No comments:

Post a Comment