Saturday, March 6, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA! THE EVERLASTING FIRST: Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch


Each week, the pop 
culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post casts my memory back to 1966, when six-year-old me first encountered a pair of superhero siblings, the Marvel Comics characters Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch.


This specific look back (originally posted in 2018) is reprised this week to commemorate the conclusion of the first season of the terrific
WandaVision TV series on Disney +. Man, that show is good. At this writing, I haven't yet seen the season (or perhaps series) finale, but I'm very much looking forward to diggin' it the most. The events of WandaVision will feed into forthcoming Marvel movies, especially in next year's Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness. Can't wait! In the mean time, WandaVision has already contributed to our current popular milieu with this insidious (so perfidious!) ditty written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, who previously invaded the mass consciousness with their Oscar-winning original song "Let It Go." Their Wanda Vision tune "Agatha All Along" is now a Billboard hit.

 As it should be!


My Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch reminiscence is the most personal Marvel Comics piece I've written to date. That emotional investment makes it my favorite. Which isn't meant to slight my other Marvel-related posts, which include my testimonial to the late Stan Lee, my memory of discovering Marvel Comics to begin with, my failed Spider-Man writing try-out, the silly (and wonderful!) humor title Not Brand Echh, the odd (but I loved it) Marvel book Marvel Super-Heroes, and, of course, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, The Avengers. I identify as a DC Comics guy. I'm also a Marvel guy. Beatles and Rolling Stones, AM and FM, sweet and savory. Your walls cannot be built here. Avengers assemble! Up, up and away.


And today, these flights of fancy take us to an appreciation of a colorfully-garbed brother and sister whom I saw in a comic book when I was six, and the dichotomy of stability and attrition in the ever-changing world of a child trying to make sense of it all. And I deserve bonus points for opening the piece with a not-really-gratuitous reference to my favorite movie, That Thing You Do! My introduction to Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch provides 
the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

Carl's writin' a book! The Greatest Record Ever Made! (Volume 1)will contain 165 essays about 165 tracks, each one of 'em THE greatest record ever made. An infinite number of records can each be the greatest record ever made, as long as they take turns. Updated initial information can be seen here: THE GREATEST RECORD EVER MADE! (Volume 1). My weekly Greatest Record Ever Made! video rants can be seen in my GREM! YouTube playlist. And I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment