Wednesday, June 16, 2021

POP-A-LOOZA: He THOUGHT He Was An Artist! (Memoirs From Back At The Drawing Board), Chapter 2: Hero

Each week, the pop culture website Pop-A-Looza shares some posts from my vast 'n' captivating Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do) archives. The latest shared post is a look back at another one-page comics story I wrote and drew in high school, the grim 'n' gritty (and also dumb) Hero.

This piece was the second entry in my reminiscence He THOUGHT He Was An Artist! (Memoirs From Back At The Drawing Board), a series remembering my attempts to become a comics artist before I grew old enough to know better. Feel free to insert your own joke about me growing older without ever getting around to that "knowing better" part.

Re-reading the piece now, I realize that I promised (or maybe threatened) to follow up with a piece about my sketchbook from the mid '80s. I had forgotten all about that promise, but it ain't a bad a idea, so maybe I will get back to that in the not-too-distant future.

Meanwhile, we have a look back at a time when a square-peg 16-year-old tried his hand at creating an edgy pulp superhero story, and failed miserably. Hero is the latest Boppin' Pop-A-Looza.

TIP THE BLOGGER: CC's Tip Jar!

You can support this blog by becoming a patron on Patreon: Fund me, baby! 

This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio with Dana & Carl airs Sunday nights from 9 to Midnight Eastern, on the air in Syracuse at SPARK! WSPJ 103.3 and 93.7 FM, and on the web at http://sparksyracuse.org/ You can read about our history here.

The many fine This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio compilation albums are still available, each full of that rockin' pop sound you crave. A portion of all sales benefit our perpetually cash-strapped community radio project:


Volume 1: download

Volume 2: CD or download
Volume 3: download
Volume 4: CD or download
Waterloo Sunset--Benefit For This Is Rock 'n' Roll Radio:  CD or download

I'm on Twitter @CafarelliCarl.

No comments:

Post a Comment